Constipated toddler

this kid is crazy. She is 32 months old. She WILL NOT poo in her pull-ups, but she doesn't like to go on the potty. So what happens? She holds it. Just holds it. The only thing that makes her poo is using a glycerin suppository, which i hate to do, because she screams her head off. She hasn't gone poo since friday. The time before that, I had the bright idea to give her half a tbsp of milk of magnesia, and it worked like a charm. Today...not so much. I gave that do her 3 times over the course of the day, and NOTHING.
WHAT can I do to get my kid to go poo, and on a regular basis? She won't eat anything but cold cereal for breakfast, she won't eat prunes, she drinks as much water as I can get her to drink. She just never WANTS to poo, because she always waits and then it hurts and since it hurts, she doesn't like to go. It's a never ending cycle. How do I break it?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't have to be prunes, pretty much any kind of fruit, and any other high fibre food: think whole grains and brown rice, etc. I can even get my little one to drink a little bit of metamucil if she sees me drink it!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• She eats fruit constantly. Oranges and strawberries used to make her have to go, but now they have no impact on her. She likes granola bars, I was thinking about getting her the fiber one bars, but idk if they would do any good.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 4:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• she would probably benefit greatly from the following: a probiotic supplement (to help balance the gut and move the poo), a digestive enzyme supplement (to help digest the more difficult things, like CEREAL and DAIRY products), a calcium/magnesium supplement (to help relax the muscles needed to go poo). You are better off boosting fiber from fresh fruits and veggies than from grains and processed foods. Check out brendawatson.com for more info on gut health.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son is a year old he gets constipated often so his doctor reccomended to use miralax. I just mix it into his juice cup and he drinks it and it works like a charm. I don't give it to him daily, just as needed. After that maybe try giving her apples, bananas, grapes and other fruits and vegetables. Maybe make her a chart and let her put stickers on when she goes and offer some kind of prize or incentive? I am trying to potty train my son so I just went to the dollar store and got a bunch of little knick nacks and put them in an empty animal cracker container and everytime he uses the potty he gets to pick a prize. Good luck!
    Februarymom2009

Answer by Februarymom2009 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Does she like to eat fruit? My 1 year old is very picky and my 2 year old eats everything! Maybe if she does like it you could mix in fruits into her cereal? Blueberries and bananas? My older son likes plain fruit cut up in a bowl- kiwi, raspberries. Fruits are natural laxatives and would probably help her!
    Februarymom2009

Answer by Februarymom2009 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I see a few people suggesting bananas, but in my experience they make my daughter MORE constipated. Try mixing some prune juice in with regular juice, she'll never know the difference. That's what we do :)
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 6:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• She loves fruit. She eats apples, oranges, peaches, strawberries, any kind of melon. She doesn't eat much for veggies - she likes cucumbers and pickles. I am not giving a two year old 3 different pills a day.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• you don't have to give her pills. you can mix ta powdered version in her food or you can get them in chewable form. Most people don't get the probiotics needed from foods anymore (like our ancestors did) because of the highly processed nature of the foods we buy. even the beneficial soil organisms on fruits and vegetables are gone now because of the overuse of pesticides. We are not designed to eat grains and dairy products, so if you are not going to eliminate them from her diet, she might benefit from an enzyme to help her digest them. You can make sure she is getting enough calcium/magnesium by monitoring her diet closely, but the vast majority of kids (and adults) do not get enough from food alone.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• or you could try an elimination diet to see if she has a food sensitivity that is causing the constipation. My best friend discovered that her daughter had a sensitivity to wheat and dairy through an elimination diet. No more constipation once she omitted those from her intake.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011