Milk Supply

It seems like my milk is drying up.... My son is only 6 weeks old.... HELP!!!!!!!!

AllisonJ

Asked by AllisonJ at 4:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What makes you think that you are drying up? If it's because you don't seem full, or aren't leaking much anymore, it just means that your supply has regulated, and you are now producing what your baby demands, and no excess. If there are other reasons, let me know, I can try to help you figure out what it is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• They same thing happened with me, BUT even though your boobs are getting ROCK hard with milk anymore doesnt mean there isnt just as milk as there was before, you would be surprised the moment you BF it comes out of no where! lol Just keep pumping when your baby isnt eating...
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• this is probably just a growth spurt. Should take 2-3 days to even out, can take up to a week. Do not supplement or use pacifiers. Nurse, nurse, nurse. You can pick up some Mother's Milk Tea to up your supply as well as eat oatmeal. Go on Kellymom.com and type in growth spurts. If that doesn't comfort you type in low milk supply. Also type in diaper counts, they are a better gage as to if baby is getting enough
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would alway pump right after I fed my baby! This way you keep your milk supply producing! This way you have extra milk saved up if you ever need or want a night off! Don't worry you will produce!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Your breasts may feel softer, and even feel "empty" because post partum hormones have stabilized. How your breasts feel have nothing to do with how much milk is really being made. Continue to nurse your baby frequently and on demand and your body will continue to make enough milk. If baby is nursing at least 8-12 times in 24 hours and having plenty of wet diapers then he is getting enough, and you are making enough. Just about the only time your milk could possibly just "dry up"is if you are taking a medication that could cause that, such as birth control pills.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It may seem like your milk is drying up because your baby is nursing more due to a growth spurt.

If you really want to up your supply just keep nursing a lot, eat oatmeal and you could also get some Mother's Milk tea which will have fenugreek in it. (They have it at a lot of grocery stores)

Contact a local La Leche League leader who can give you more advice and check out llli.org

Good luck
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008