Toddler tantrums!

My 18 mo old had learned how to throw tantrums. If something happens that she doesn't like, i.e. she tries to climb on teh coffee table and I make her get down, we're outside playing and we come in, she throws food at me and I tell her no.... then she will stifen up, arch her back, throw herlsef backwards adn start screaming. she's hit her head I don't know how many times doing this. She did it on the concrete on the front porch the other day because she was trying to get bird poop and I swept it off the porch. I caught her before she hit too hard. Most of the time I just ignore her when she does it. If it's going on for a little bit I will " that's enough stop it", which just pisses her off and leads to more crying. I've tried to distract her with toys, but the toy usually gets chucked at me. And i've put her in her playpen when she does it. She is a perfect angel at daycare, never once thrown a fit there or anything. I think she saves it all for mommy! lol When we get home it's like unleash the monster child. She's getting her front teeth (18 mos and only has 3 teeth) so if she's being really grumpy I will give her some tylenol or advil. But these tantrums and driving me CRAZY! I'm so ssick of the screaming and throwing and hitting and I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself flopping around like that. How do you deal with tantrums?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 7:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This probably isn't much help, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things. The playpen thing is a good idea, because that way she won't hurt herself. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon. Hang in there, Mama.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes the playpen thing is a good thing, Try to not to talk to her while she is screaming... Another thing I have done with my son when he freaks out like that is hold him... He hates being confined and feeling like he cant move ( if you look up tantrums you will find this also) i just hold him like a big hug and hold his legs down.. let her know that she is out of control right now and mommy is holding her that she is safe and loved and than when she becomes in control of her feelings again you will let her go..... It has worked for me...
    Evsmommy06

Answer by Evsmommy06 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think the playpen is a good idea and it sounds like you aren't giving her attention when she's being naughty which is good. Maybe try focusing on her good behavior.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Give her plenty of warning when you have to transition form one activity to another, when you have to go inside, etc. Let her know what to expect. The playpen is a good idea. And stay as calm as you can and just let her know what is and is not allowed. I used to ignore my youngest at times like this and I would tell him when he calmed down we could talk. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011