If you were pregnant at 18, and your mom wanted you to have an abortion, what would you do? adult content

I unexpectedly have ended up pregnant. The thing is, I'm of age, but I live with my parents, and I don't currently have a job, because I have been focusing all of my energy into college.
I would be willing to get a job while I'm in school, and my boyfriend makes good money already, but my mom, who doesn't yet know I'm pregnant, but suspects it, keeps saying things like "You need to take a pee test so you can nip it in the bud."

I don't want to have an abortion. I want to keep my baby, and so does my boyfriend. What can I do while I'm still stuck under her roof?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would tell her to go to hell. They cant force you to have an abortion, that is why women have a choice. Tell her no you are 18, it is your body, and last time you checked Roe Vs Wade allowed you the choice to not only abort but also not to, and you are choosing not to. You have plenty of time to get it together. You are 18 and by that time I was in my own place, with my bf, and had a baby. I am sure you can pull it together too, if you want to keep the baby and give it a good life then you will.

Answer by gemgem at 7:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• So tell her that. It may not be what she wants to hear but you need to just get it out there. You might have to deal with not being under her roof any more but a lot of responsibility is going to come your way. I would start right now by looking for a job, having and honest conversation with her and then go from there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I got pregnant at 18 too. I put college on hold, moved out, had my son, then finished school. He'll be 18 this fall. Your mom can't force you to abort, but if you don't want to live under her rules, then you & your boyfriend need to get your own place.

Good luck-
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 7:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It's really not her decision. Just be prepared that she may kick you out. Depending on your relationship with her sit down and tell her how she makes you feel.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I definitely plan on getting some applications today. My boyfriend makes 1,300 building each week, but it's a new job, so we're saving for bills and rent so that we can get ourselves a place to live without struggling or having to ask my mom and dad or his for help. I was hoping she wouldn't figure it out, and I could just be gone before I started to show or she could know, but how long can someone have a stomach virus for? She isn't falling for it now.
    I just hope she doesn't throw me out the second I tell her no. That would make getting things together difficult, but right now, I want the best for my baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Good luck. I was scared shitless to tell my mom. She didn't handle it well at first, but she saw I was serious about keeping him, and I got a job, blah blah blah. You're lucky to have your BF in the picture. My sperm donor shagged ass when I told him. You can do it- it's hard, but having a baby at any age is hard.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 7:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree with the others. You may not have planned to have a child this soon, but I believe that every child comes at the right time and for an intended purpose. Many babies are not planned, but every life is precious. Good luck with your mom. If she doesn't support you, maybe your BF parents will. If not, you will still manage on your own with or without BF. I hope it turns out well, but be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better. Take care and congratulations! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My mom wanted me to get an abortion when I got pregnant at 19. I wouldn't, got a job and moved out. Shortly after I miscarried :( But we would have made it.

The only time a woman should have an abortion is when SHE thinks it's in her best interest, not when everyone else thinks so. Never have an abortion for anybody except yourself or you will more than likely end up regretting it
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I suppose that even though we're able to get a place within the next month or two, I just hoped if she found out somehow, that she would be more accepting. My parents are both very career and money-oriented though. They pretty much only believe in doing things to advance in your career or make money. I have a great relationship with them, and I've always been able to talk to them, but when it comes to pregnancy, there isn't much I can do to make them be happy for me. I feel like they'll look down on me, but I still can't just give up my baby.
    I hope maybe they change their views later on, but I've heard my mom especially, say such horrible things about young pregnant girls before.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• And thank you, you have all been very sweet. Very badly needed advice. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011