Can you request to have a C-Section?

Im actually just really curious.

MissyNewMama

Asked by MissyNewMama at 8:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can but honestly I wouldn't unless you have already had one. A lot of places still don't allow for VBAC so it isn't as easy to decide on the second or third baby that you want to try vaginal birth if you've already had a c-section. I was induced, which ended in an emergency c-sec and hospitals around here don't do VBAC so no vaginal birth for me even though that is what I originally wanted. My advice, try to do a vaginal first then if it doesn't work out how you were hoping request c-sec in the future.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It depends on your doctor. My doctor would NEVER do a requested c-section, and that is one of the reasons he is my doctor.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yeah, I think you can. It's a major medical procedure that, although necessary for some women, are not needed for many others. It seems like a lot of unnecessary risk to voluntarily sign up for.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• yes you can. but i wouldn't its really a hard recovery. if you can give birth vag then do it!
    snowfishmommy

Answer by snowfishmommy at 8:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can, but if they're a good DR. they won't unless it's truly, medically needed.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• mizlee i love your termonology lol 5 pounders ROFL im going to use that lol
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes, many people do. It's a sad trend.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think it depends on your doctor, and your reasons for wanting the c-section, and your medical history. In my case my 1st child ended up being a c-section and due to baby size and my pelvis size I was told that any other children would be c-sections. Good thing cause baby #2 was bigger than the 1st and baby #3 was the smallest- but not by much. Now if they would have been 5-pounders then maybe vaginal births might have been possible.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can request anything you want but your Dr doesn't have to do it. lol
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• 5 pounders? That is a small baby. Kids born weighing 8-11 pounds (and even more) are born vaginally everyday.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2011