How do you get your long time pet to get use to the baby?

I have a dog, cute lil thing, maybe 30 lbs, golden, so loveable. Its just been me and her for the longest time...now in December I will be having a baby, how to introduce the baby to her and make sure they hit it off!

MissyNewMama

Asked by MissyNewMama at 8:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I have a long time dog, and was worried about him not accepting my kiddo, well he is crazy for him since the day the baby came home! Ds is 6 now, and they are best friends, I agree with Genice6, let the dog smell the babies clothes, and just watch the dog around the baby, the dog will have an immediate reaction when the baby comes home, hopefully a good one, as baby gets older it is very important to teach him how to behave around a dog, and always feed the dog away from the baby! Congrats btw!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you have been alone with this animal for a long time, expect some acting out. Do not ever leave the infant alone with the dog even for a minute.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Let the dog smell the baby's clothes, blanket etc. Let the dog sit with you and the baby so she can acknowledge the baby as a new member of the "pack" It shouldn't be too hard, dogs are sooo smart. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Bring home clothes that the baby has worn and let them smell and lay on them. The dog will get familiar with the scent and it will help them bond. Dogs have a natural ability to understand. It is great to watch them interact. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'd be extremely careful. Dogs are sometimes jealous and do crazy things. I've known several people who had to get rid of their dogs because they were deemed to be dangerous to children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2011