Your depression meds....

I have taken different meds for depression on and off over the years. It seems the depression comes and goes. I have had an unusually long stretch here lately. My question is this...I have taken 2 different kinds of meds recently but I still have symptoms. For those of you who take meds for depression....do you also have symptoms sometimes or do you feel ok all the time? I changed from Zoloft to Wellbutrin due to the sexual side effects of the Zoloft but I still get pissy and I am really forgetful. Other symptoms seem to be in check though. Am I hoping for something that isn't going to happen? Am I always going to still have symptoms despite meds? What's your experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Health

• I too lately seem to be getting forgetful! I am on Zoloft. I find it does help but I have not tried an other meds for this! I was having not so happy feelings about a lot of stuff before but now I do not!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I take fluoxetine, its an old fashioned prescription but it works. I do still have moments where i am depressed. I don't think there is any medicine out there that will take it all away completely. Does that make sense?
    kristoph61

Answer by kristoph61 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I am supposed to take meds but refuse to bc of the side effects. Now I take an over the counter supplement called 5-htp. Research it and ask your doctor. It's cheap and you don't have to take it all the time. I'm old enough and experienced enough to know when a depression is coming. When I feel it coming on (it sounds like I'm talking about a cold, huh?) I start taking it then stop when I feel better. No need to remember to take them every day.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Wellbutrin works on dopamine levels while Zoloft effects your serotoin, it's an SSRI. They are used to treat different kinds of depression or other mental illness. I'm surprised that your doctor would not try another SSRI before trying a completely different drug family.

i used to work in the mental health field and suffer from depression and anxiety myself. in my personal opinion, wellbutrin seemed to work best with my bi-polar and schizo-affective clients (with a combo of other meds).

Unfortunately, most mental health meds effect your sex drive. Not to give TMI, but I rectify that with ky jelly and a lot of foreplay.
    Anonymous