Which of these general ideologies fits you better?

"We're all in this together."

OR

"Every man for themselves."

Sure, you might feel differently depending on the situation, but in general which one fits your typical mindset?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 8:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Hard for me to answer lol. I have a big family so generally our motto is were all in this together, but when it comes down to it it is only US our family in it together, so then it is every man/family for themselves. Again though not in all situations. I think it is too general to ask. There are too many factors.

Answer by gemgem at 8:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We're all in this together is the way I WANT to think, and do in terms of politics, voting, morality, etc. However, I do try to provide for my family and ensure we are OK because there is only so much I can do that for others. I would love to live in a more connected society. We do see the neighbours and such, but we don't help them out as much as I'd like- and our (physical) neighbours don't need the help as much as some I seldom if ever see. Sad. I know I don't live the way I should.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

Answer by gemgem 17 minutes ago

I know...it's a tough question but i think it's at the heart of our political discourse. Do we have a responsibility to protect and support eachother by doing what's best for our community rather than what's best for us personally? Or is it survival of the fittest?

I originally had family instead of man but changed it at the last second.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• For me, it's "we're all in this together" up until others refuse to participate and only take, take, take. And treat others like shit. Then it's "you can take care of yourself". This goes for family as well, not my little family unit (hubby, myself and kids). But extended family. You know, everyone has 'that family member' that only wants, and is horrible to others. Is ungrateful. Heartless on my part? IDK. But, I will not take what I have to give away from someone that actually appreciates it and NEEDS it to give to someone that does not appreciates it and doesn't actually need it, just wants. KWIM?

Oh, I just can't choose between the two. I guess I'm one up till a point, then the other comes into play. Does that make sense? Does it make me horrible?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We're all in this together.
    However,self-preservation is an extremely strong thing.
    MistyBlueMom

Answer by MistyBlueMom at 9:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• "We're all in this together."

But I can only wait so long for you to wake up and help yourself, here for you but will not do it for you!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I feel that there is a lot of both, however I lean more toward every man for themselves because we all have to contribute.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think if you combined both of them, you would come up with something more like:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

In essence we are all in this together to teach people to work harder and make better choices.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We are all in this together. Each one teach one... do we? change our mindset and we can change ourselves and the environment around us. Get a little Zig Ziggler... Dani Johnson...Lisa Nichols...Jane Dueber

Women's Information Network (WIN)

www.thewinonline.com
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 11:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Every man for themselves. My family is my priority. Please don't think I am not generous because I am...but when push comes to shove.. I believe God gave us the ability to take care of ourselves. How well we do it depends upon the choices we make.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011