Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lowering Child Support Without Lawyer

Anyone have advice on how to get child support lowered without a lawyer? My husband's income has gone down significantly and the oldest kid turned 18.

Answer Question

Asked by coolbreeze0717 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Relationships

Level 4 (35 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Yeah you can go to child support enforcement. It isnt just for custodial parents. My ex went there and opened his own account when we had a court order. As for the kids turning 18 it depends on the state you might not be off the hook. In our state my ex pays until my son is 21 because he is going to college and living at home.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • You simply make a court appointment however that works for you, and tell them your income is lowered.
    I have found lawyers to be almost useless in child support cases. The judge has a formula to work with, and as long as you know the basics of what you deserve (for example child support + 1/2 of child care) there is zero need for a lawyer.
    In PA, they automatically stop child support when the child turns 18. They found too many parents forget to cancel it themselves, so now they start the process for them. Very kind of them I would say.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Yes, in our state it's 19 or when they graduate H.S., whichever comes first. So it should be able to be lowered, plus his immensely degraded income. We had filed the papers ourselves through the mail (we live in a different state from them), and we requested a telephonic appearance or interview because there's no way we can go there. So the judge called my husband yesterday and was very grouchy with him. He wanted to know WHY my husband wants a telephonic hearing even though he had sent the judge a personal note outlining all the details of "why". So he set a court date in July, and after we get the papers summoning him to court, we are supposed to then send the judge a letter outlining why my husband wants the telephonic interview.

    I don't understand why it has to be like a "trial." If the kid is of-age, what is the big stinkin' deal? We are very nervous that we're not going to do something right & get screwed.

    Comment by coolbreeze0717 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Actaully then you really NEED to go to CSE. Heres the thing. BY LAW child support is held in the state that the non custodial parent resides not the state the custodial parent resides. This needs to be done right away. All the do is file the paperwork to move the case to your state because of conveniance. This law is to make it fair. Then your state hears the case and goes from there. If and when they take the child off the case a refund will be issued or she will have to repay.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Well, we've thought about trying to get it all transferred here but no one can tell me if it really can be done. I did get the paperwork directly from the court to get this done & we also requested my husband be granted a telephonic interview. It SHOULD be cut & dry. But I've heard of men getting screwed somehow because they don't have a lawyer. So we're worried.

    Comment by coolbreeze0717 (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • I think you going to be fine, just make sure the outline is detailed and to the point. Hope it works for you, but they may make him continue unitl the oldest is 19,, it is going to help if you are paying alot of child support now, but if it is the minimum, they may just keep it, can the mother afford to still take care of the kids if it is lowered? I don't know if you have the kids on your insurance or not, but if not offering to do so, may help your chances, you just need to find out how much extra it would be.

    Answer by kimigogo at 9:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Just go to the courthouse and drop the cs case. That's what my dd's did with their bd.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • No, their mother had them on Medicaid so we never had to provide health insurance. We just lost ours anyway, the COBRA ran out.

    Comment by coolbreeze0717 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Gemgem, can you tell me a little bit more about how the jurisdiction of the non-custodial parent can be changed to where the NCP lives? I've talked to a few lawyers around here and they've not heard of that. Please help.

    Comment by coolbreeze0717 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • Yay! Justice has prevailed & everything went smoothly and as it should! This is after much angst, heartburn, and upset stomachs!

    Comment by coolbreeze0717 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.