Maybe austerity actually is a good thing?

We've got county park on some land that can't be developed because it's home to a water treatment plant so last year they made it into a dog park. You payed $30 for an annual pass and the dog park supplied water for the dogs, poop bags, tennis balls, and frisbees.

This year the county decided they could no longer afford to staff the park or provide the supplies listed above and they considered closing it :( We really wanted the dog park so a group of us got together an petitioned the county to let us run it on a volunteer basis, and they said yes.

Now the dog park is better than ever. We put signs up asking people to bring a gallon of water, a handful of grocery bags, and a toy or two when they visit. We've even partnered with a local AKC chapter and were able to get some dog agility equipment donated. We've also added a few picnic tables for the humans to sit at, and 2 big tents (cause there was no shade at all).

Does anyone else have an example from thier own community where a service cut turned out to have an excellent benefit?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Great Job!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• KUDOS to you.. I wholeheartedly believe in churches, private citizens and companies stepping up to take care of their community. Our nation has seen the sense of community downplayed over many years and replaced with government entitlement programs. Fact is, they are too costly. Much of what I have experienced locally, has been the private community, churches, etc coming in and helping military families. With budget cuts~ many military family programs are limited. So to be a part of bringing the community in to help military families through corporate sponsorship, the YMCA, etc has been an amazing process. Your story is truly one to be proud of. I applaud you and your group of volunteers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, but I don't live in an urban, highly populated area. Not a ton of services out here and those that exist, haven't been cut.

Good for you!
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• That is great! I totally agree...austerity can be a good thing. Sometimes people need a trigger..the loss of fund is a good one!

There has been a volunteer takeover of libraries and museums here. The Sheriff's Dept has a huge volunteer force. All of the marine patrolling is volunteer, the gas for the boats is donated AND the boats themselves were purchased with grants.

The food pantry and soup kitchen had trouble keeping up with the volume of people. The Catholic Church, Methodist Church & Lutheran Church started offering a monthly free supper. The meal is now weekly and the Baptist Church and Church of Christ have joined in! All the food is donated. The churches take turns hosting and those volunteering for those meals could come from any of the churches.

Congratulations to you and your community!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The food pantry and soup kitchen had trouble keeping up with the volume of people. The Catholic Church, Methodist Church & Lutheran Church started offering a monthly free supper. The meal is now weekly and the Baptist Church and Church of Christ have joined in! All the food is donated. The churches take turns hosting and those volunteering for those meals could come from any of the churches.

When we lived in a medium sized town in Ohio, each community church hosted a free community dinner... So, there was a hot, balanced meal provided to all in the area each day...  With the loss of jobs, and sour economy it was a GREAT thing to see develop.  To my knowledge, they are still doing it, 2 years from when it started...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• yourspecial, looks like your downvote troll is back!!!!
    grlygrlz2

• I don;t have any examples such as yours, OP....but I do know that more often than not, if you want something done, and done right, you have to do it yourself! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Welcome to the Republican party USR.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to the Republican party USR.

Answer by Anonymous 14 minutes ago

LOL!

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• LOL...I know I love my troll. I must have gotten the down vote for mentioning churches. Personally I think it is almost unbelievable that those different churches come together and share resources to feed the hungry.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011