My son is turning One this month (Ahhhhh!), I'm brainstorming gifts that I can give him that are unique and something to remember. I want to find something that I can do every year on his birthday... a traditional birthday gift. However my creative juices have run into a huge wall. Any suggestions out there, or things that you've done yourselves? Thanks in advance for your help with this!!!

Lyjeeboo

Asked by Lyjeeboo at 9:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Holidays

• Well congrats on the birthday, but he won't be able to remember what you get him, so is there anything that he plays with all of the time? You could start a special collection for him. My mom used to get my brother a pewter collectable every year for his birthday, he has an amazing printers box, that now hangs on his office wall.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• scrapbook is a nice gift and one you can do everyyear. or a picture from with your pictures and it shows how he grows. or something personalized like a height chart. but the height chart is a one time gift but its always nice to get on the first birthday with their name on it. or something like a scrapbook of events and things from that year. say from the year he was born and then every year after this way he can see the prices and what was popular movies ect as he grows up. major headlines in the newspaper. or even a letter every year like a journal with you writing in with his milestones.. and pictures and special events.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Start his savings account/college fund and make a larger contribution every year on his birthday. or Start a collection that will maintain value and that he may grow to gain interest in every year (Coins, etc.).
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My grandfather used to buy each of us a silver dollar for that year every year on our birthday. We loved receiving them. I still have all of mine.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Well, my daughter has a savings account which we put all cash/checks she ever receives into the account and we also add to it. We have started her a collection of Barbies. We get her the Holiday Barbie each year at Christmas and really beautiful ones we find here and there, she gets for her birthday. She will be 3 next month and has 8 collector Barbies still in the boxes........they're so beautiful! I think starting some kind of collection that may be worth money some day is a great idea. And even if they never amount to anything.......you were thoughtful enough to go out of your way each birthday/Christmas to create a wonderful collection..........sometimes it really is the thought that counts.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You know you dont have to write your whole question/post in the title bar right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!
    I read this somewhere and loved it. Get a nice notebook or journal... instead of buying a card every year, just write birthday wishes or a letter even to your son every year for his birthday. I started this for dd and I even have her grandparents write in her book instead of buying a card that will be thrown away. Can you imagine how full and beautiful that birthday book will be by the time he's old enough for you to give it to him.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Maybe start a little scrapbook that you can show him each year or just frame a family picture so he can see how it's changed (especially if you plan on having more kids or adding pets). I love Ashoonik's idea!
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• what we did for our boys is every year for their birthdays they get a savings bonds and something special to add to their collection(cars, trains, etc) and they love it we save the bonds for when they mature and the cars or trains get played with and then go into a collection box; we also try and get something that has the year or the number of their birthdate(1,2, etc)
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• its hard to tell at this point what you could get him every year for the rest his life since you don't know his hobbies yet
    but for now, def something useful or an awsome toy that he picked out while shopping, and make sure it's clear he can't get the toy but then wrap it up and make it a big surprise! my mom did that for me and i'll never forget it!!
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011