At what age did your kids start talking? Not just a word or 2 but regularly.

I ask because my son is 28 months old and is in speech therapy because he only uses about 5-10 words regularly. He has been evaluated and has something like a 35% language delay. But all the other 2 yr old boys I know are even quieter than he is. My son's speech therapist said that I should get him evaluated for PDD. Well upon looking it up, I really don't think DS has it or even shows signs of it but I know if I get him evaluated for it they are probably going to take something I say completely wrong and diagnose him with it anyways. On the other hand, I feel like if I blow this evaluation off it somehow means I'm in denial and I'm neglecting my parental duties. DS is an active, sociable boy with a good imagination. In fact, the only thing about DS that even remotely corresponds with PDD is the speech delay (which I still think is based on ridiculously high standards anyway) and the fact that we have a routine. The routine is because, let's face it, he's 2 and we have to have a routine to fit everything into a day that he needs but we break the routine whenever we need to (groceries, mall, park, various errands) and it doesn't bother DS in the slightest.

I'm ranting/rambling now sorry but I guess what I'm wanting to know is: IS IT NORMAL FOR A 2 YR OLD TO HAVE A SMALL VOCABULARY (5-10 WORDS) AND TO NOT ALWAYS TALK IN COMPLETE SENTENCES? He does speak in full sentences pretty often too like "I don't know" "I sorry" "Stop being mean" and "No I didn't". The 5-10 words I'm talking about is words used by themselves like "outside" "up" "no" and so on.

lisalmeyer86

Asked by lisalmeyer86 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the kid and there is a great range of "normal".
    That being said my non-delayed kids were all carrying on conversations by 2. My oldest really started talking a lot right before she turned 2. My son was 12 months and speaking in complete sentences. He was pretty advanced and even surprised his doctors at knowing 10-12 words by 10 months. He had an extensive vocabulary at 1 (more like a 2 1/2yo). My youngest daughter was a lot like my son and was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months and carrying on a conversation at 2 like she was 4 (she's quite precocious). Then there's my middle dd. She didn't say her first word until 16 months, only knew 2 at 18 months and at 2 knew like 10. She never had therapy but she was definitely delayed. She's 8 now and just fine... never stops talking, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son could hold a conversation at 16 months. I babysit at 16 month old who cant say one word, he went to a speech therapist. She told him to take the paci out and he is still young so she isn't concerned. I also babysit a 3 year old who didn't start talking until he was 2 1/2. Im not sure if he saw anyone or not. Ill ask his mom next time they are over.
    I think some kids learn faster than others.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think this means I'm old........I don't remember! He's 18 now. I know I have it written in his baby book, but I don't normally carry that around with me. LOL
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The passy isn't our problem for sure, he got rid of that habit a looong time ago. But I have noticed that whenever he is being evaluated or when the speech therapist is over he clams up and sometimes starts talking gibberish. But when it is back to just us he starts talking up a storm. Does it make any sense for him to know more than he lets on and maybe he is just holding back because he knows we want him to talk?
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2011