Ideas for sticking to a healthy diet on a fixed income

So i am needing to loose about 100 lbs to be at my goal weight and was doing really good. I lost almost 100 lbs and then went into a depression when i put my back completely out and was unable to work out AT ALL. Being on a fixed income its hard to get the healthy foods. Anyone got any cheap healthy recipes.... Im not a big veggie person so nothing chalked full of veggies lol.

sweetsone

Asked by sweetsone at 10:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Well veggies are really a must to have a healthy balanced diet, find ones you DO like. I do most of my shopping at inexpensive stores like Aldi or Price Rite and then the local Farmer's Market and YouPick farms. I spend roughly $70 a week on groceries and it's pretty much lean ground turkey breasts, chicken, fish and fresh veggies and fruits.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Now see i love love love Chicken breast and fruit and I would take baked turkey over any other meat all day long lol but we were forced as kids to eat those veggies growing up and they were never anything normal they were always the liver and onions or things like that and it just turned me away from them. Only veggie that i ever eat anymore are green beans I love corn but with the salts and carbs they are no longer a staple in my home lol
    sweetsone

Comment by sweetsone (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Well try things you haven't had....like sautee some swiss chard or grill from zucchini or yellow squash. Even try a spaghetti squash, once it's cooked you use a fork and it comes out stringy like noodles, put sauce over it and you've got a healthy veggie filled spaghetti....i make it all the time. Or cut veggies into small bits and put them in your brown rice or cous cous so you get them but they are just a tiny bit of flavor in each bite.

This year I re-tried brussel sprouts and found I LOVE them. LOL nothing I would have ever thought i'd like. I also LOVE raw colorful peppers....red, yellow and orange peppers are a little sweet, so I eat them raw or add to omlettes and salads
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• hmm I might have to try the spaghetti squash. My friend swears by it but I havent been that daring yet lol
    sweetsone

Comment by sweetsone (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Salsa is a good way to get veggies in. I mix some in with my tuna sandwiches. Go for whole wheat bread instead of white. You can put b/s chicken breasts in the crockpot covered with about 2 shredded apples mixed with a little lemon juice and 1/2 cup or so of BBQ sauce. Let it cook about 6 hours and have corn on the cob (who doesn't like corn on the cob? lol)
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• start by eating less pasta, rice and bread. Also not too much salad dressing and mayo. You will start eating veggies when you get hungry :) trust me!

The already cooked chickens that you can get at supermarket are very good. You can make Chicken salad, Chicken tacos, Chicken sandwich with 100% whole wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes.

Very important STOP drinking diet drinks, they are not healthy for you and get you to want to eat more.
    Just remember it takes time to get use to eating the right way
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Thanks Gammie! I eat the Dream field pasta, brown rice and whole wheat bread. I dont use dressing or mayo. And u are right eventually I will eat veggies if thats all I start getting haha.
    I didnt know about the diet drinks I drink the diet sprite so I will have to start finding something else to curve the sweet tooth. =)
    sweetsone

Comment by sweetsone (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• plain yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream. bake/grill/broil as much as possible. frying adds calories. I think if you add veggies to a dish you wont taste them as much. I do that for my son. Adding to rice,mashed potatoes,things like that. Good luck,Robin
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011