How would you handle this?

How do I get my 13 yo daughter to give me the garage door opener to get inside of the house? She took off outside because she wouldn't do what she was supposed to do and said no she wasn't going to do it. Simple thing as putting a garbage bag back in the can after taking it out and down to the pick up site. She took the garage door opener and key that we have for 'just in case' someone gets locked out. She is laughing at me and putting the garage door up and down taunting saying we could do this all day and refuses to give them back. I just walked away because I am not going to play her little games. I can't legally lock her out of the house, but sure would like to. lol What would you do in a power struggle like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• who says you can't lock her out... I would and she'd get in when she gave it back... or I'd temp. disconnect the door so she cant open it... kill its power for a little will.... plus if she wants to play keep away games get yourself a big box and pack up her stuff all she needs is clothes and hygiene stuff. Games music.... ect... gone.... and teller her when you return it that the next time you'll donate it... and be willing to.... or wait till Christmas and regift it back to her as her only gifts.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 10:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• She def. thinks she's running the show. Does she have a cell phone, computer, tv..any of those? I would be taking this opportunity to be removing those things from her possession immediately. I would not give them back any time soon either. Don't play the power struggle game with her. I would be awfully close to calling the police. When she does come in get the remote and the key and hide them from her. She needs serious consequences for this or she will be walking all over you, all the time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Call the police. Seriously. Call them. She has your property and is being a delinquent.

Answer by gemgem at 10:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• When she gets bored with it, and the fiasco is over, she would lose ALL electronics.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree with gem, lol that will probabley scare the witts out of her..get them to tell your if she keeps up this behavoir she will be taken to jail! heh
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sounds like there's quite a bit more going on here. in my State it's against the law for children to disobey their parents. So I would call the police and put the fear of juvenile hall in them. They won't arrest her on the first offence but will let her know if they're called back she could be.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Is this an on going thing?? If she is constantly pushing the limits like this I would be tempted to follow gemgem advice.    Most likely I would wait her out inside, she would come in to the door being removed from her room.  I would tell her when she can settle down and straighten up she can have it back.  Of course she would have to give back the keys and the opener too.

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree with daps sounds like there is more going on. Sounds to me like she's fighting for the wrong kind of attention I personally would walk away and when it comes to her wanting to use the phone Id take it from her and let her know the only kind of attention shes going to get is the same kind shes giving.
    sweetsone

Answer by sweetsone at 10:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree with others that it sounds like something is up with her. Sounds like she's acting out for some reason.
    First thing that I'd do is get a copy of the house key made to keep with me so I could at least get into the house.

Do you have a relative or someone that you can call for re-enforcements that she might let in? Maybe if you call someone else over it may embarrass her.
    Does she usually act this way? sounds pretty childish for a 13 year old to act.

I don't agree with calling the police, they have better things to do than come deal with a teenager that is acting out.
    at the sake of sounding as childish as your daughter, if your phone has video capabilities, I'd take a video of how she is behaving and send it around so her friends and your relatives can see how she acts.
    It would have embarrassed me to no end when I was her age!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• sounds like this woman is locked out, may be a while before she can take anything away.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2011