At what age did your kids start talking? Not just a word or 2 but regularly.

I ask because my son is 28 months old and is in speech therapy because he only uses about 5-10 words regularly. He has been evaluated and has something like a 35% language delay. But all the other 2 yr old boys I know are even quieter than he is. My son's speech therapist said that I should get him evaluated for PDD. Well upon looking it up, I really don't think DS has it or even shows signs of it but I know if I get him evaluated for it they are probably going to take something I say completely wrong and diagnose him with it anyways. On the other hand, I feel like if I blow this evaluation off it somehow means I'm in denial and I'm neglecting my parental duties. DS is an active, sociable boy with a good imagination. In fact, the only thing about DS that even remotely corresponds with PDD is the speech delay (which I still think is based on ridiculously high standards anyway) and the fact that we have a routine. The routine is because, let's face it, he's 2 and we have to have a routine to fit everything into a day that he needs but we break the routine whenever we need to (groceries, mall, park, various errands) and it doesn't bother DS in the slightest.

I'm ranting/rambling now sorry but I guess what I'm wanting to know is: IS IT NORMAL FOR A 2 YR OLD TO HAVE A SMALL VOCABULARY (5-10 WORDS) AND TO NOT ALWAYS TALK IN COMPLETE SENTENCES? He does speak in full sentences pretty often too like "I don't know" "I sorry" "Stop being mean" and "No I didn't". The 5-10 words I'm talking about is words used by themselves like "outside" "up" "no" and so on.

lisalmeyer86

Asked by lisalmeyer86 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think your sons vocab is more expansive than you think. you just gave us 11 words there. you know your child better than any expert. get a few different opinions before you get him treatment that you suspect he may not need. i think labeling a child can sometimes do more harm than good. My son is 26 months and stringing complete sentences together consistently for the past month. Developmentally, he is well within the range of normal.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My 2 yo had a fairly large vocab (way more words than I could possibly count!) by his birthday. He started talking all the time in sentences by 20 months. My oldest 2 were diagnosed with autism - although the 2nd one has since "lost" his diagnosis (he no longer tests anywhere on the spectrum) and my 3rd was diagnosed with a speech delay when she was 18 months old. She got speech therapy for free through early intervention until she was 3 - at that point she was so far above the charts there was no question she was fine. Her speech was clearer than most 5 year olds due to the early therapy.
    What is an eval going to hurt? It's not going to change who your son is. If anything, it may qualify him for more services, and that's definitely not going to hurt him!

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• He's probably fine. I remember last year after my daughter's second birthday, she still wasn't saying too much and THEN BAM!!! She will be 3 next month and speaks like we do now in both English and Spanish. She speaks very properly and I couldn't tell you how many words she says. She speaks as well as a 4 or 5 year old easily. It was funny too, because when she started talking...it was like she had this giant vocabulary ....like she knew it all along and just wasn't letting on. She walked up to me in the store and handed me a toy and said "Mama, I want this." I remember looking at her father saying "Did she just say that?" She knew how to speak and in complete sentences, but I guess just hadn't felt the need to. Now I can't get her to be quiet for a second!! lol I think it's very normal at his age to still be a little tight lipped.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think it normal that they don't always talk in complete sentences... but they should be making 2-3 word combination of words on their own... and it's also common that a lot of their speech is difficult to understand... but I don't think a 5-10 word vocab is normal in a 2 year old...
    I would say my son has typical language development... he had well over 100 words by the time he was 2... and now he's almost 3 (34 months) and he pretty much says everything... the main things being sentence structure that he mixes up sometimes... like just now he asked me "Mommy, how's it go backwards, Thomas?" (He was asking if his Thomas train can go backwards)

I'd say if your son only has 5-10 words I would have him evaluated just to be sure...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my son was 2. DD turns 2 this month and she hardly says anything but NO but she has turned out to have hearing issues.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 5:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• How much do you want to medicalize your son's life? It sounds as if you think he has a pretty normal development, except that he has a small vocabulary. But he is developmentally on target if he is saying 3-word phrases like "I don't know".Do you think that he doesn't understand many words when you talk to him? Can he point to things like his nose and hair and eyes, etc even if he doesn't pronounce those words? If you are really worried that he has a developmental delay, then by all means you should get him tested and get him all the help you can. But if you don't think so, then you are opening your life to a big change as every day and week you will be dealing with medical and child development experts. And a diagnosis may follow him to school, even if he has caught up by age 5.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 5:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011