At what age did your kids start talking? Not just a word or 2 but regularly.

I ask because my son is 28 months old and is in speech therapy because he only uses about 5-10 words regularly. He has been evaluated and has something like a 35% language delay. But all the other 2 yr old boys I know are even quieter than he is. My son's speech therapist said that I should get him evaluated for PDD. Well upon looking it up, I really don't think DS has it or even shows signs of it but I know if I get him evaluated for it they are probably going to take something I say completely wrong and diagnose him with it anyways. On the other hand, I feel like if I blow this evaluation off it somehow means I'm in denial and I'm neglecting my parental duties. DS is an active, sociable boy with a good imagination. In fact, the only thing about DS that even remotely corresponds with PDD is the speech delay (which I still think is based on ridiculously high standards anyway) and the fact that we have a routine. The routine is because, let's face it, he's 2 and we have to have a routine to fit everything into a day that he needs but we break the routine whenever we need to (groceries, mall, park, various errands) and it doesn't bother DS in the slightest.

I'm ranting/rambling now sorry but I guess what I'm wanting to know is: IS IT NORMAL FOR A 2 YR OLD TO HAVE A SMALL VOCABULARY (5-10 WORDS) AND TO NOT ALWAYS TALK IN COMPLETE SENTENCES? He does speak in full sentences pretty often too like "I don't know" "I sorry" "Stop being mean" and "No I didn't". The 5-10 words I'm talking about is words used by themselves like "outside" "up" "no" and so on.

lisalmeyer86

Asked by lisalmeyer86 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son started talking in small sentences when he was about 2 1/2...its kinda like crawling and walking..sometimes it takes a while to master it but once they understand and WANT to do it they will..and it will just flow after that. personally dont think you should be worried about your sons speech just yet. Give it til 3 if hes not making any improvements..then try the speech therapy..just my opinion..Is he slowly but surely learning new words and using them? maybe mimicking words he hears?

AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• IS IT NORMAL FOR A 2 YR OLD TO HAVE A SMALL VOCABULARY (5-10 WORDS) AND TO NOT ALWAYS TALK IN COMPLETE SENTENCES?

Yes, it is normal. My son was 2.5-3 before he really started talking a lot. My younger son was 3.5-4 before he was talking good and clear. My girls are social creatures and talked complete/clear sentences at 1.5-2 yrs old.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• OMG he's 2! They are trying to say he has a disability? Come on! Boys are not as social as girls, they tend to hit physical milestones first and social ones later. Just keep encouraging him to use his words when asking for stuff and maybe before bed have a conversation about what you did that day. I started doing that when my son was 3 so he could practice having conversations. At first I did most of the talking but after a few days he got really chatty lol So just give it some time. I wouldn't worry.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• STs see a lot of kids. They have good insight as to what is typical. An early diagnosis - if there is a problem like PDD - is for the best. Have Early intervention evaluate him. It's no cost to you. DD was diagnosed when she was in middle school...how I wish we knew when she was 2. We could have had appropriate therapy so much earlier. All the signs were there when she was 2...

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Thank you!!! That makes me feel much better. I've noticed the same thing... most girls my son's age can carry on a full conversation but other boys don't seem to have a thing to say. I am so glad someone answered!!!!
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• AydensMommy: Oh yes he has learned a ton of words since he turned 2 and he is pretty good at imitating words when I say them to him as well. We started the speech therapy because when he got evaluated the "experts" were saying he was way behind the curve so I got a little freaked out but now they are saying he's learning disabled? It seems like a bit too much to me because I can't think of any 2 yr old boy that has made perfect sense when he spoke. Thanks for your advice also!!!
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We have conversations all day, really. He loves talking, I just can't understand some of what he says. Even that has gotten much better in the last 4 months though, I usually catch two-thirds of every sentence now when a few months ago it was a few words of every paragraph. The experts have been freaking me out but I do work with him a lot and I can tell he is making progress. I just can't believe that "experts" are not allowing for a difference between boys and girls, it's weird.
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2011