• In the Spotlight:

How do I explain the new baby?

My son is 13 months old and I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have no idea how to explain the new baby to him, or how he will react. He is good with other kids, but they are his age and older..so I an not sure what will happen, how did you explain the new addition to your oldest?

1sttimemommy198

Asked by 1sttimemommy198 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, since he's only 13 months old, I doubt he'll understand, it will just be something to adapt to.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• just try to make it a positive thing. tell him that his baby brother or sister is in your tummy. have him bond with the baby by patting or kissing your tummy. point out newborns when you're in public and show lots of pictures of babies to him. put all the baby "stuff" out 2 months before your due date so that he can have stress free time to learn about what he can touch and play with (baby toys) and what he cannot (the bassinet, the swing). towards the end of your pregnancy his understanding will have grown exponentially so just because he may not grasp it yet doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to expose him to the idea.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 7:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We talked and talked about a new baby coming. Our daughter was about 20 months old though when we found out we were expecting #2! Just keep talking to him about the new baby, read him books about being a sibling. Teach about the baby in your belly. All you can do is keep trying to tell him about what's going on. My daughter was so used to talking about him she didn't have any trouble adjusting! She's only shown a very small amount of jealousy...if you would even call it that.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008