PU!

My teen girl hid food (that she didn't like (veggies) in her room and I smelled something very foul and found it.Sometimes she eats in her room. She says she's been doing it for a week, but seeing the stash I think it's been longer. PU!! I made her take it to the garbage and clean the storage area she hid it in. What else would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Is she thin? Hiding food can be a sign of anorexia. I would watch her closely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Make her go serve at a homeless shelter..........seriously, maybe then she won't waste food seeing how others half starve.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Time for a talk to see if anything else is going on.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Eat at the dinner table as a family so that you can watch her eat, and have her help make choices in food to prevent that problem.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Our house rules are no food or drink in bedrooms. If she is hiding food, I'd be worried about an eating disorder.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, she just doesn't like spinach and lettuce she DEFIENATELY NOT ANEREXIC!! She's normal weight maybe a bit over, she loves sugar and would make a main staple of it but we have vegetables at our table. We had quite a time for 11 or so years of her hiding chewable vitamins too. Just don't get it, like it's like she doesn't want anything that's GOOD FOR HER (VITAMINS, SPINACH, LETTECE) She has always said she eats her vegetables at school but would like to be a fly on the wall because now I wonder. I know kids don't like vegetables but hiding them and PU. Yuk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Don't force her to eat vegetables that she doesn't like and that you KNOW she doesn't like. That's just cruel. There are far tastier vegetables than spinach (NASTY) and not everyone likes lettuce - my DIL hates lettuce.

You KNOW she's not eating her vegetables at school. Don't kid yourself on that one.

Instead find vegetables that she WILL eat. Find out if there are leafy greens that she likes raw instead of iceberg lettuce. As for the vitamin - don't allow her to walk away until it is gone. If she won't do chewables, get gummy ones or ones she has to swallow whole.

Anonymous

• No more eating in her room!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Make her eat just in the kitchen or dining room whatever you have. have her find recipes she'll eat. hide it in other foods if you can.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 10:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The problems is she needs to eat what we eat. I'm not running a restauant and if she doesn't like something it can become a ACQUIRED TASTE. LOL I don't make her eat gobs of the stuff just a bite each time. Gee, she isn't going to eat 2 vegetables her whole life. As far as the vitamins it was a sneaky thing too. We have made her take them gummy & reg in front of us cuz of this. When does a person stop tho, she's going on 13.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2011