Do you think living together before marriage reduces the risk of divorce?

kdwiegandt

Asked by kdwiegandt at 10:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Whether you live together married or not it doesn't change the relationship you have. If you get married and divorce later on it isn't because you lived together before you were married, it's because of whatever is going on in your relationship.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Actually, from all of the studies I've read, it increases the chance of divorce. I'm talking about living together with no engagement, vs consolidating households while planning the wedding.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No I do not think that it makes a difference.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No. Of the couples I know who have lived together and then got married most of them did end up getting divorced.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There have been studies done it increases the chance of divorce.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 10:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think living together gives you an outlook on what marriage would be like, it can only help not hurt.

Answer by older at 11:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't care what the studies say, if I had married any of the men I had lived with before my DF I would be miserable right now. Living with them made it easier/faster to know who and what the person was. I did not move in with my DF until after we decided to get married.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You'll definitely want to try that! Find out his ugly habits! Better to buy something you know all the way than buying something eyes wide shut...
    Vian.aram

Answer by Vian.aram at 3:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I can only speak in regards to my personal experiences.

No.. My husband and I have been married for 26 years, we did not live together before marriage.

No one in either my family or my husband's has ever divorced. No one has ever lived together before marriage. To be fair though, many of those marriages were arranged marriages as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• no
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011