should i agree to induce labor or not?

I'm due on Dec. 25 (Christmas day)
my mom is tottaly agaist inducing but my doc thinks we should go for it , he dosn't give me a solid reason(he said he dosn't want to wait till baby gets too big, and im gonna have to have a c-cection) but i'm sure he just wants to spend that day at home with family:)
Who do I listen to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Don't induce unless you really have to! I had to and I was so upset (and still am) and I had a horrible experience with it.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Listen to your body. I was induced, strickly because my amneotic fluid was low and after 48 hours of an iv of fluids, still too low. But you shouldn't induce without justification
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• hmm.. do they think theirs something wrong with thebaby? if not, then no just wait till the 25th, but then again if you have it now then baby and you can be home for xmas! :) so theirs to ways to do it their hun. hope you figure it out! :D congrats on the baby! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i was induced too not like it worked then they did an emergency c-section .. so yeh
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Pleeeease don't induce unless you have to. It's your right to refuse an induction unless it's medically necessary. My doctor is going to discuss it with me next week if I'm not progressing fast enough...and I absolutely refuse to induce until I reach 41 weeks. I don't believe in induction without necessity.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I don't see a reason why and the dr. shouldn't be worried about it being due on christmas day because babies are rarely born on their actual due date.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 5:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Personally I would not induce unless there was a specific reason. Has he said how big he thinks your baby will be or is there some reason like you have gestational diabetes to have a big baby ?

I mean I delivered a 9'5 pound baby and another woman there that same day had a 10 pounder. Obviously some bodies can't handle big babies, but it does seem like he might be being vague.

Is this your first ? I figure you probaby would not even go until after Christmas anyway...

So my final answer ( LOL) is don't induce if you feel there is no reason and you are not comfortable with it.

I would sit down and really tell him how you feel too.

I hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• Don't induce unless it's absolutely necessary!!!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 5:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• you dont listen to your mother and you dont listen to your doc. you only listen to yourself. only let them induce you if your really have to though. the due date isnt always the actual birth date. its 2 weeks.

my midwife always told me that she and the hospital would never induce until necessary or the woman is at least 41 weeks along.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• don't do it! the OB tried to get me to induce, they had me go in for an ultrasound and blood draw, and then they made me call my DR right after i got my blood drawn and she told me "we are going to have you come in at 5am tomorrow and induce you"
    WTF. they didn't even give me a good reason and after talking it over with my BF and family members, i decided i wasn;t doing it. and the day after, i went into labor and had her that evening. afterwards i found out that the practice i had gone to was notorious for inducing, so even tho i loved the midwife, i am definitely looking for a different doctor, heh.
    katvixenstar

Answer by katvixenstar at 5:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008