What's the "right" age to first attend summer camp?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 10:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• That REALLY depends on the child, and the kind of camp!! I am on the board to a Boys, 7 week residential camp and we have boys 8-15. It's not uncommon to start around 9 or 10 either.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My kids were never ready before age 9 for 1 week sleep away camp. My youngest never went to camp. He was teased and bullied a lot. I never forced the issue. Camp was so they could have fun and an adventure and he was never ready. In hindsight I'm glad we let him have a choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• For me it was when we move the summer I was 10. I was an only child to a single working parent and got stuffed into a day camp run by the city parks & rec with early drop-off and late pick-up. See glorified daycare. After the first couple of years it was boring and dumb.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Depends a lot on personality, but my children attende YMCA Storer Camps and they accept kids for over night came when they are going to enter the 2nd grade in the fall.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Day camps: 6
    Sleepaway camps: 10
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011