S/O of spell question

I did not post an opinion on that question because I honestly don't know anything about it. The only spell-casting I've seen was in the movies. I saw many responses saying that spell-casting and praying are essentially the same thing. How can that be? To cast spells, don't you need to light candles, have certain "ingredients", and say some sort of incantation? Is there a "higher power" or "entity" that you pray to? To me, prayer is simply talking to God. Spells seem much more "involved", if you will. I admit my ignorance on this subject, so please enlighten me. Thank you ladies.

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 11:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, to best answer your question I'm going to, for a moment, stop talking spiritual and start talking physical. Working, through spells, is really no different than working physically. Either way you are putting your time and energy in to creating change in your life. So, have you ever worked for something only to find out you don't really want it? Gone to school for the wrong major? Turned down a job you should have had? Sure, we all work for things that in hind sight aren't 100% what's best for us. But just as in the physical world, only hind sight is 20/20. Mistakes are just a part of being. Even if you pray to your God and get what you want, doesn't always mean it's the best thing, you know, it simply means he gave you what you asked for - maybe the lesson that comes with the mistake is his purpose, maybe not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, you do not NEED candles or special ingredients although you CAN use them.

Yes, we have higher powers/deities. We are not godless.

As for the "incantation" ... no different than saying or uttering a prayer.

Mind you this is a very basic outline ... Sabrina posted some links on the other question that would be very helpful in explaining it more in depth.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• IMO, the energy all comes from the same place- within yourself. Prayers, spells: all the same thing. You can call it whatever you want but it's really all you.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Some Christians light candles or use rosary beads along with some prayers.

I don't know much about spell casting either, but it is best to steer clear of believing all the dramatics that movies create.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't use the prayer/spell connection because of this same confusion. I pray, AND I do spell work. To me they are different. BUT, many Christians DO spellwork with the title of prayer.

Prayer is simply ANY communication between a person (or group) and their deity.
    Spells may or may not include prayer. But Magick, spells included, is simply the act of focusing energy in to creating change. SOME spells use herbs, candles, incense and other "things" but not all do. Many are as simple as placing of hands on an item and focusing. Others may be as simple as repeating a song, word, saying or a "prayer" while focusing on something...

Many do spellwork WITH their deity, while others prefer to use their own energy or the energy that they can raise without the aid of a deity. Things such as laying on of hands for sick and then praying, or saying a rosary - ARE SPELLS! They simply aren't given that name by most. Same thing though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Spells are witchcraft... yes it will be denied... I am well aware of that!
    Prayers to God are much different then the spells in that it depends on who you are focused on.
    ----

Shane, no one would ever deny that spells are witchcraft - of course they are. As I said, they are ONE FORM, not all witchcraft is spell oriented.
    And you are right to say Prayers and Spells are different. They are similar, yet different. The difference is with prayers you are asking someone else to create change for you, with spells you are doing for yourself.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Spells are a way to release your energy and ask for what you need. The same as prayer. Candles, etc. are a way to help YOU focus, if you feel you can focus better with some sort of ritual than by all means, go for it.
    chaslee

Answer by chaslee at 12:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Is spell-casting and witchcraft the same thing? I know the Wiccan "creed" (please forgive my ignorance!) is Do No Harm, but there are those that do, no? Is there such a thing as "white" magic and "black" magic? Do you view casting spells as performing a type of magic?
    ---
    Spell-casting is ONE FORM of witchcraft/magick. But there are others such as natural medicine, divination, charms & amulets and so on. As with anything else there are those who choose to do bad things. Spellwork/Magick/Witchcraft are not good or bad, not black or white... They are neutral - like people. But it's what people do with it that make it good or bad. So yes, I'm sure there are those who do negative things, but just as the majority of people out there don't use their car to hurt people, most people don't use magick that way either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The problem many have in understanding what a spell is is that they have the Hollywooded up version stuck in their heads. Some think that spells are like what the Halliwell sisters or Willow does or the girls from the movie The Craft

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• As for the rede... Unlike Christians and their Bible or Jewish persons and their 10 Commandments, Wiccan's are not bound to the Rede, it's simply a rule. Compare it more to the "Golden Rule" than any religious laws. And Non-Wiccan Pagan's aren't bound to it at all, it's still a good general rule, but far from something that must be followed. SO... There are those who follow it, those who think it's a good thing but don't view it as a real rule - just an ideal, and those who don't see a need for it at all.

That said, most understand the idea of Karma or the Law of Attraction and know that good brings us good, bad brings us bad... Of course you must also remember that good and bad are relative...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011