Could this happen to YOU? S.W.A.T Team breaks down man's door.... Over Default Student Loans....

STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as the officers team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11, and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said....

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a representative confirmed the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

~~~~

Moral of the story, Don't Default on Loans...  ;o)

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Im guessing theres more to it. I bet she committed fraud.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• WTH does a search warrant have to do with student loans? I would really like to know the grounds on granting it they usually have to list what they are looking for don't they?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• OMG that is ridiculous
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Could it happen to me?
    No, I pay my bills.
    Anonymous

• This is obviously an extreme but a part of me likes the idea of tracking down those that don't pay off their debt and having them face consequences of some sort ...
    Anonymous

• You mean like debtor jails of the past?

Answer by gemgem at 12:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There must be more to the story.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I imagine there is more to the case then provided to the media.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• from what I see this link doesn't even exist.
    Do you have link to a reputable source to back up this story?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• ItsMe

http://centralstockton.news10.net/news/community/dept-education-breaks-down-stockton-mans-door/72578

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011