Help! Trying to switch from co-sleeping to independent...

I just moved about a week ago into a big two bedroom unit. It's a huge change from where we were living before in a one room basement where we shared everything for lack of space. I let my daughter sleep in the same bed with me for most of her first year, but I am pregnant again and it's getting uncomfortable. She will NOT sleep in her own crib and I am worried I am doing something wrong. I've tried everything. I'm on night three of letting her cry it out and I'm at my wits end from not getting any sleep. She'll sleep good in her bed for about four hours after fighting sleep from 8 to 10pm and then from about 2am to 5am she'll just wail like she's dying. I had her on a good schedule before of bedtime at 8:30 and up at 7:30 with a bottle around 2 or 3 am. I just can't let her sleep in my bed any more and it's hard enough getting to sleep with the pregnancy insomnia. Help! Someone must have been through this, right?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Itll just take time. It took time to get her on her last schedule right? I always cosleep with my kids when they are little and ecspecially advocate for it now that I took a psych class that showed children who cosleep with parents are likely to have a higher IQ because their self esteem is higher and so is their self security bc the parent is there to make them feel secure. But with being pregnant I can see why you want to change. I would try moving her crib next to your bed, or her toddler bed where she can hold ur hand but still be in her own bed. Then you can slowly move it closer to the door then into her room.

Answer by gemgem at 5:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Its really unfair to just kick her out of bed like that. The point of co sleeping is to allow yoru daughter to move into her own space when ready.

If I was in your situation I would put her bed in the same rooms as mine. This might be a better transition for her than a completely separate room. Even if your beds are pretty much next to each other this might help a lot more than say her beds on hte other side of the room. Then when she is used to that you could encourage her to go into her room because of the new baby. Encourage her to be a big girl etc.

Lol. I just realized my answer was the same as the above poster :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Try the No Cry Sleep Solution. It'sworking well here. I'm VERY much against CIO and my son is making the transition to sleeping through the night and sleeping in a toddler bed without tears. I'm almost 8 months pregnant with my 6th and it's been a really effortless transition.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• your little one isn't use to the small crib mattress. my 15 month old still sleeps in bed with me and soon he'll have to be out because i am pregnant as well. i sold his crib months ago because he would never sleep in it for the simple fact that he's used to a bigger bed and having more space. if you can, get a twin bed and put it next to your bed, that way, she thinks she's still sleeping in your bed, then move it over to the other side of your room and lay her down for bedtime as you normall would. she'll go to sleep because she's used to a big bed, and there you go. its not fair to let them sleep in a big bed with you then all of a sudden put them in a littler bed.
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008