If this was you in the pool?

I went for a pool trip outside of town with friends and family and my kids were in the big end of the pool. My sister was playing with my daughter and my son was floating on his little raft lounge chair thing. He is 6 yrs old and doesn't know how to swim. He was just toodling along neither one of us were very far away from him and he said Auntie push me. We are talking about small push and he is always with in arms length. Some stupid dumb random lady gives him HUGE shove and his raft hit the other wall and he capsized. I saw it happen and it felt like I was moving soooooo slow. I yelled at the top of my lungs with a couple other profanities SOMEONE GET HM HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM (Yes I am getting him signed up for swimming lessons). They were oodles of adult near him and they glanced and went back to whatever was more important to them he went down like 5 times before I could get to him. Who does that!?!?!?! I was so pissed. I am responsible parent and I had enough balls not to post this anon, but do people not give a crap anymore? I snatched my son some random gentleman that cared enough to help and thanked him afterwards like a thousand times. I am sorry for the rant guys, but maybe I had too much faith in mankind. Just trying to see what y'all had to say about this.

djavongirl

Asked by djavongirl at 12:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• when i was a kid my mom saved a 2 year old from drowning. she was on the beach and saw him walking around on the end of the dock at the lake by himself (there were older kids around but no one was paying attention to him) she knew something was gonna happen so she ran out to the dock and got there just after he fell in the water, she reached down and pulled him out and then the mother proceeded to BITCH HER OUT for "grabbing" her child (this was AFTER my mom carried him back to the beach and spent a couple minutes looking for his parents).

i would bitch out the people for not helping, but there is this phenomenon where bystanders dont' do anything in a crisis situation because they all assume someone else will do something, not an excuse but it explains why no one did anything. glad to hear your son is okay though
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What an awful lady to do that, but my son is 6 and learning how to swim, but I still put him in a life vest every time we are in the water,, I would have probably come unglued on the lady that pushed him!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would have been furious.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• How scary. I have been in a situation like that and I did help. How can people just stand by and let it happen? Is he ok? Was he scared?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am sorry to hear he is now scared of parts of the pool. How rude of the lady.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• MommyWoods your story gave me chills. I think I would have snapped on those people too.
    pookiekins34

• Glad to hear he isn't now.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i would have viewed that as her putting her hands on my kids, whether we're on land or not, she pushed my kid out of the way. i would have definitely confronted her stupid ass, and it would have taken everything out of me not to knock her teeth out. there is such a thing called etiquette and that lady obviously lacks it, you don't just go pushing other people out of your way. i'm sorry that happened to your son and i'm glad he's okay. my oldest is 4 and a half and used to be so scared of the pool, but now she wears floaties on her arms and swims all over like a little fish. i love them too because she can't drown wearing those.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would have been very upset with the situation and the other adults around. Having said that...and not to be a bitch...but if you have a child who cannot swim in or near the water, there are WAY too many variables such as this one, to allow them in anything but a coast gaurd approved flotation device. You were lucky. Had you been in a natural body of water you would not have been able to see where he was once he went under. I say this out of love. My father drowned in his pool. Was on a raft, his wife in the house watching tv. He fell asleep and well just let go of the raft and drowned. This was a 67 yr old man who was around water his entire life. You can never be too careful around water. I love water, grew up with a pool, own a pool, spent summers on Long Lake in MI. Teach him to swim. Until he can, buy him a Puddle Jumper..look online for them they are the best!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i agree with salexander about the puddle jumpers, that's how all my kids started out in the water when they were about 2 and fit the weight requirements. my 4 1/2 year old learned to swim in a puddle jumper last summer and now has "upgraded" to just arm floaties, since she learned how to balance herself with the puddle jumper. same story for my middle who is 2 1/2. they are great! they cover the arms and the waist, and snap in the back.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011