So we won a lot of money on a scratch ticket....

How do we keep relatives from asking us for money?

We won 100,000. We got about 75,000 after taxes and stuff. We decided that after living in an apartment for 6 years, we wanted a house. We got our dream house, but still have a mortgage of about 100,000. My husband still works. I still stay at home with the kids. We are paying about the same for the house as we did for the apartment, so other than now living in a house, our income hasn't really changed at all. Actually, since we are paying for more elecrticity, more water, more heat, and ect., we are actually not doing as well as we were before the ticket win, with the exception of home ownership. We love our house, and are very happy, but are starting to get annoyed with one certain relative.

My brother married and divorced this woman. She has his four kids, is getting food stamps, living in welfare housing, and living off welfare and my brother's child support. She has no job, and isn't EVER, EVER, EVER going to get one. My brother does not have custody due to a serious drinking problem. My former SIL didn't talk to us for years, until she found out that we won the money. Now we get a call at least twice a week from her asking for cash, a loan for a car so she can "get a job", a loan for a house so she can get out of the welfare housing, and so on and on and on. We changed our number, and she got it from my brother. We changed it again and she showed up at our door with suitcases saying she'd been tossed out of her apartment (we didn't let her in).

Can we file for a restraining order? She hasn't done anything violent, just soooo annoying!! We were working hard saving for our house and would have had it in the next 5 years anyway, but thanks to the ticket were able to get it sooner. We have always worked, paid our bills and taken care of our kids. I think we deserve to call our home our own and not be constantly nagged for money we don't have.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Holy Sh**! Congrats! Wish I could find one like that. I wouldn't tell anybody if I won.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Have you tried telling her you put the whole ticket down on the house and the money is all gone? I would still talk to the police and see if there was anything you can do legally. Congrats on the ticket win!!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 12:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am not sure. Can you get her for harassment?

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Congrats! Yeah I'm with Shanna I wouldn't have told anyone that I won lol. So I wouldn't have to deal with that. But since you are I hope things get better for you. Which scratcher was it BTW?
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Firstly Congratulations Mama! What a gift! You guys deserve it! :) YAY for scratchers!

Now, regarding your ex-SIL . . . they seems to come out of the woodworks when they think there is money, don't they? I would actually just tell her, "I wish we had extra and could help out, but with taxes, all the money went for the down payment. Now, with our extra bills, we even have less spending cash, so there is really nothing in any account that we could give, and we are just scraping by."

Leave it at that. There is nothing for her to argue with.

All that stuff is really none of her business, but when it sinks in, she will leave you alone.

Congrats again!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Explain to her that you don't have anything to offer her and tell her if she doesn't stop bothering you that you are going to file a restraining order. I am not sure you'd actually have enough to get one at this point, but just telling her that you will might work.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'd get some kind of restraining order. Or at least tell her to shove off.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Have you read the article about the 'golden uterus syndrome' ? It really applies and explains to your ex SIL! Maybe you should email it to her? Than according to this article you would be evil and out of her control, and that means you would no longer exist to her! Mission accomplished!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We won on a Harley Davidson 10$ ticket we bought at our local convenience store. We went back and gave the store clerk 1000$, but other than that everything went towards the house. If we had won more we'd have been so happy to donate to charities (St, Jude's would have gotten quite a chunk!) and we would have bought my sister a house and my dad his coveted brand new Cadillac. We felt bad that we didn't split it up among the close family, but no matter what we would never have given our ex SIL anything. I've never heard of "golden uterus syndrome". I'll have to look it up. Thanks for your congrats, ladies!! We are so happy to have gotten our home so much earlier than we would have!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Seriously I would say "Listen we spent every dime of the winnings on the house, not that it's ANY business of yours. STOP asking for money, stop calling and stop showing up or we will file charges"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011