Update from yesterdays question about doc getting the gender wrong at 15 weeks g changed to b...

yesterday I posted that someone who goes to the same doc as me was just told that she's actually having a boy when she was told at first it was a girl. I was really nervous cause the same doc told me boy. So, after getting more details from her yesterday, I found out that the doc told her he wasn't quite sure and asked in a joking way, before he said the gender, if she'd be made if he was wrong and of course of all of the "this isn't 100%".... blah blah. He said he was only about 50% sure. She said no she wouldn't be mad and he said girl. Weeks later that turns to a boy and now she is seriously bummed and shocked. I'm like... HELLO????? What a dumbass? Seriously? you put all your stock into a 50/50 guess??? Doc probably should've have said anything to begin with but still. Stupid!

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• First of all telling the sex of the baby is never 100% no matter how far along you are. I know a few people who were told they were having a boy or a girl and it turned out to be the opposite. Either way doctors wont usually tell you the sex of the baby until 20 weeks because they cant see clearly enough before that and after your are farther along they wont tell you because the baby is bigger and again they cant see clearly.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Back when I was having my kids you didn't find out what the sex of the baby was, tell you delivered it. So this new thing about finding out by ultrasound is kind of weird to me. I would not go out and buy a lot of girl/boy stuff tell the baby was here.

Answer by louise2 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011