How can I get started on losing weight and eat healthier and stick to it???

I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys and a daughter. We are active with Little League as well. I am looking for any advice for ways to get started eating healthier (on fixed income/budget), and ways to help lose weight. I haven't been able to lose the baby weight since our 5 yr old. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

cwelch2008

Asked by cwelch2008 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I would suggest joing spark.com, they have great healthy recipes that the whole family will enjoy.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Ok, thank you so much. I will check out that website.
    cwelch2008

Comment by cwelch2008 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• sparkpeople.com is a great website for sure.

You need to find ways to keep yourself motivated.  No one can do this for you.  I've written out a list for myself of reasons why I want to lose weight/be healthy, and I look at it when I lose my motivation (which happens to EVERYONE at some point).  How will you break through the plateaus?  You need a plan!

I've lost over 60 lbs so far eating clean, which is amazing.  Here is more advice I typed up awhile ago regarding weight loss.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can pack meals to take with you. It's cheaper and healthier than eating out. Get some string cheese, fruit (like apples, oranges, etc that can easily be packed), make a batch of hummus (cheaper than buying, and lower in sodium) to dip veggies in, have cut fruits and veggies in the fridge that are easy to grab, buy a cooler with an ice pack that you can pack food into, make large meals for dinner so you have leftovers for lunch... There are all kinds of ways to make it work, even with little time and little money. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I used Slim n 6 last spring ('10). ...it really worked and worked fast. I followed their diet choices, which were simple and affordable ( I don't have a diet gourmet chef on hand like some of these diets need). I only used the very first dvd for 20min a day, every day and the weight was peeling away. It came with a long 'calendar type" fridge poster so I could mark my "X" every day on the calendar and just seeing that on the fridge helped motivate me. I hung up a before photo too....that helped remind me daily of what I was supposed to be doing when/if it got tough.....IDK if you want to spend the money for Slim n 6 ? It was fully WORTH it to me.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I just saw the (fixed budget..I'm sorry).
    Well then...first off. Drink WATER! Whatever your current weight is, divide that by 1/2 and drink that amount of water in OUNCES every single day. This will do alot plus flush fat our faster. Eat low-cal. I had 1 poached/boiled egg and 1 piece wheat toast with barely any butter every morning and a piece of fruit. //Mid morning snack, then lite low-cal lunch like say, tuna sandwhich with lowfat mayo and whole wheat bread, baby carrots, applesauce ...just lite.,,,,afternoon snack.....then dinner. 3 oz of lean meat, not fried, 2 fresh steamed veggies, small salad, .....it's portion control but also eating lowcal, ...basically I got to eat 5X a day...I did not starve by any means....I drank my water and I exercised for just 20 short minutes a day and by the end of 1 week....the scale had moved like 4 lbs...I was MOTIVATED and I just kept it up.....week 3 I had lost 15lbs....
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I raided our pantry, fridge etc and I refused to buy garbage food. For alot of moms that's hard bcz they feel they are depriving the kids but we made trades for healthier , less junkier snacks and foods. No potatoe chips, cheetos, cheese puffs, etc etc....no sandwhich meats like bologna, salami, ham, etc ...they are FULL of salts and fats and junk. We just kept things simple and healthy. Also, if you don't take a multi-vitamin....start. If your body lacks all kinds of vitamins and minerals it won't even burn and metabolize properly to begin with. You'll feel better too.
    uGH.....there is just so much info on this stuff, LOL.....anyway...I wish you the best of luck. you can do it!!!! You CAN.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There are tons of online sites for recipes. Spend a little time each week going through them and putting together a menu that uses ingredients that stay within your budget. You'll have a huge collection in no time. I also like to cruise the sale books at Barnes and Noble. I've picked up quite a few on the cheap, including a Hungry Girl book that has a ton of cheap, comfort food recipes under 300 calories a serving It can be done! You just have to do your research.

Learning how to eat right is a process for most of us. Some people can jump on the wagon and stay there. Most of us fall off now and again. You have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again(yeah, I was singing that in my head as I typed). When you do 'oopsy', don't get too down on yourself or it makes it harder to get back up. Just acknowledge you flub and get back on your plan.

Good luck!

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you have a problem sticking with it, start slow. Eliminate one bad habit at a time. Cutting back on the sodas, chips, candy, etc will make a huge difference. Also refuse to use the deep fryer, only cooking spray (no calories). Small changes can make a difference. But drinking lots of water will definitely help you feel fuller and help clean you out.
    Ttcbabyclegg

Answer by Ttcbabyclegg at 11:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am on a 1600 calorie diet(which I never eat in a day) and what has helped me is write down everything--for example this morning I had 1 cup malt-o-meal; 1 slice wheat bread with margarine and 1 cup Orange Juice and then I have a book that breaks it down according to how many calories; how many carbohydrates and etc; so that might help you also it is sometimes easier when you have things written down to know how much you are consuming in a day; but you may also want to consult with a dietician or your doctor before starting anything
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011