Help, My Autistic Daughter is driving me to a Nervous Break down

She is 3 yrs Old and shes so smart and funny at times. She was diagnosed with autism at the age of 15 months.. We have her in early intervention with ABA, Speech, and OT (occupational therapy) since she turned 3 she aged out and now is in a reversed mainstream Class room, she only speaks a few words, but her tantrums are vicious, she kicks bites screams for Hours on end.. My husband works everyday, he is never home and im left with the kids all day all night.. and we really dont have much Active family to help us. they always seem to busy. Some days i want to pack my bags and run away, can someone please give me some Pointers on how to deal with this stress, and how to ask my family who really dont want to be involved to start helping us out.. I feel i am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. She barely sleeps, Eating is always difficult bc of texture isssues, im so worn out. and i dont want to be this moody anymore Please help

Amanda509

Asked by Amanda509 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ativan. Seriously. My son is high functioning Autistic and when he was young it was very difficult. My doctor gave me a prescription for nerve pills. I didnt use them every day but on bad days it did take the edge off. Also try and find some support groups in the area with other families with children who have Autism. Again your doctor or her pediatrician might be able to point youin the right direction.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I know this doesn't help now - but it gets better! My son is 13 now and better behaved most of the time than my typical kids, but I remember those days well. Are you on the waiting list for the CAP medicaid waiver in your area? Are you involved with the local autism society support group? That's where I met some of my best friends and the ones I turn to when I have a bad day, because they understand and have been there!

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• CAP medicaid waiver?? she has our Insurance and medical from the state bc it covers her therapy and schooling. I dont have Support groups in my area but I do have a few people I speak to about these issues. I feel as though Im running on Empty, I have a 7 yr old too and he is very mouthy, so what im trying to accomplish is having a little extra help with them.. My mother inlaw says all the time that she will help us, but hasnt done anything of the sort in 2 yrs.. My parents as well, they say they dont "Outcast" her but they do, they take my son on trips and weekends away and never once done anything like that with my daughter, even as simple as picking her up to go to a park or a walk.. Im so run down from therapy sessions, tantrums schooling doctor appts.. Sports and school activities for my son.. I feel like im being streched and unfortunately my husband cannot afford to take time off.
    Amanda509

Comment by Amanda509 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Not sure where you are, but maybe you can google "medicaid waiver program (your area)"? Here in NC it's called CAP - it provides a one on one worker for my son for 20 hours when he's in school, 40 hours when he's not, plus additional respite hours. They work with him on certain goals, but more than anything it gives me a break! It also qualifies him for non income based medicaid. You can pm me where you live and I'll try to find out info for it if you can't find any.
    Have you checked with your Parks and Recreations Department about summer programs? Ours has a daycamp starting as young as 3 for kids with developmental disabilities. They also offer scholarships if money is an issue.
    My oldest (with autism) was 3 and my 2nd son was 18 months when my 3rd was born, so I know about juggling additional kids!

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• O yes she has something like this 22 hours of home therapy. Speech Ot aba, and she is also in school 4 days a week.. but the home therapy, they want me to particiapte so i dont get much time, and she only goes to school for 3 hours a day. so by the time I get done the house work she is getting off the bus and my son is walking home from school. i just need some advice on how to sit down with my Inlaws and tell them that she needs other adults and loved ones involved in her life, and that mom needs a break for just an night to get a shower and actually sleep more then 3 hours..LOL
    Amanda509

Comment by Amanda509 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Fortunately my parents have always been more than willing to help out, but it sounds like maybe they know that, but don't feel comfortable? If they aren't willing, there probably isn't much you can say that is going to change that. I would start looking into other respite options rather than relying on family.

Answer by missanc at 5:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The Medicaid waiver provides respite care. It would be in addition to the services you already get. Contact the MH/IDD department in your county. Also call any schools in your area that have education majors. Our local university has a program that provides free respite through the education department. I also have a prescription for Ativan. DD is 14 and has ADHD, Aspergers and ODD. My twin sons turn 7 next week. DH works out of state and is gone M - F.

(((HUGS)))

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011