I need some tips on how to stay calm.

I have a toddler and an autistic adhd child.I am feeling overwhelmed.I really need to know how i can keep myself calm when i have 2 kids crying and screaming at me.Their is nothing i can do to control how they react to things.But having mommy blow up and yelling isn't helping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make them go in their room and play when they start acting that way. So you can breath and calm down.

Answer by louise2 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• can you put them somewhere safe, playpen or crib. then step away for a minute to compose yourself. a few deep breathes and some sort of mantra that you could say to yourself..."I am a good Mom. This will pass" or something like that...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• duct tapes always good.. lol... kidding.. breathe mama breathe...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• turn on some music that they like
    scnyuma

Answer by scnyuma at 1:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Hugs mama. It is so hard when the kids aren't calm.

I think we all have that challenge when they are toddlers, but i know that when we also have spirited kids, that emotional intensity continues . . .

When I notice that I am about to pop, I take a few deep breaths, do some stretching, and say a quick prayer.

if the kids are not calming, and I can't take anymore, I try to change up the situation by taking them to play outside, putting in a movie, or just sitting ang hugging them. The chaos usually subsides . . . but it is a hard thing for me daily.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Tranquilizers for mom
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Taking a deep breath right away when you start feeling yourself getting that way to decompress. It happens a lot for me and I get anxious and if I don't do something everything starts going downhill fast! lol Turning on some nice music after the deep breaths and will help your kids too. I like the idea of saying to yourself 'this too will pass' as another poster said. Good one. Oh, it's so easy to lose control when your kids act out/out. It will be a long summer, otherwise. Good luck!
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011