Nap time

My daughter is 6 months old and refuses to take a nap. Getting her to sleep is easy but once i lay her down no matter where its at she wakes up right away or she only sleeps for 10 mins. She goes to bed at 830pm and sleeps til 5am and thats it. She needs her naps but I cant get her to take one.

kewatson09

Asked by kewatson09 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I did with my daughter was put her in her crib and let her cry it out. It seems bad at first because it sounds like you hold her til she falls alseep but she needs to learn to self sooth. After a few days of letting her cry it out, it will get better and she'll start going to sleep when you put her in the crib. Its gonna be tough on you because 1st reaction is for you to sooth her when she's crying but you have to resist going in there to pick her up. Once she started teething I would give her a bottle when I laid her down for a nap. I know you arent suppose to do that because its a bad habit to start but it worked and honestly she had no issues and weaning her from the bottle at a year old was easy. She might not want to lay down and doesnt sleep long because she is still discovering things and doesnt want to miss out or she is teething.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son did the exact same thing but he's changed, now he takes a 40 min nap in the am then 2-3 hr nap in the afternoon then sleeps from 8:30pm to 6:30 am! Some babies just aren't sleepers! Give it time she may change
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Retired Neonatal ICU nurse here:
    I don't believe that your baby is quite old enough for you to "let her cry it out" & learn to "self soothe."
    It is possible that she doesn't really "need" to have a nap every day. Does she get cranky? Does she fall asleep in the car? Or this might be an early sign of ADD.
    I recommend that you make sure she has her pacifier if she uses one. Something I wish had been around in my "baby days" is the woombie. I just happened to find it one day when I was on the comp.--a side ad or something. You can check that out @ www.thewoombie.com. I have since found out there are similar things under diff names, but I didn't get their info down.
    GL!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 4:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• She gets cranky for a nap but once she is layed down she wont sleep. But no more than she sleeps at night she needs a nap!
    kewatson09

Comment by kewatson09 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2011