Is daycare a bad influence on some toddlers??????

I'm a little concerned about my son not talking. Granted, he is only two so I shouldn't be worried.......that's what they keep telling me. But my con cern is he used to use so many words before he started attending daycare. He was the only child who was walking and talking in his class. I even had someone come and have a home visit with me and said there is nothing wrong with my son. And she said that it is not uncommon for this to happen when children go to daycare. Children are like sponges and will do whats around them. I still made another appt. to meet with a speech therapist and a child psychologist, just to be sure. What are your thoughts????

LittlesMom549

Asked by LittlesMom549 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't call it a bad influence but toddlers can pick up a lot of behaviors from others. You just will have to correct them and let him know what's OK and what isn't! I'm a Psychotherapist/Parenting Coach and work with many children that age and am also working in an Early Childhood Center, so I see lots of behaviors! Good luck!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would first make an unannounced visit to the daycare and watch what is going on in the classroom. Talk with the teacher and any other staff about what they've observed and what they are doing to encourage him to talk. If they are failing at working with your son on this issue, change daycares.

Once that variable is cleared, then consider a speech therapist.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I do not think daycare causes a loss of skills. It may be he is focusing him abilities else where for the time being. Is he more active like working on climbing and jumping? Kids are notorious for trading one skill for another for a while until the new skill is down pat. It is possible for a child to loose skills but it is not daycare related, it is a rare form of Autism called Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. I think your DS is just in a quiet phase or is working on new skills. I hope the speech evaluation gives you some peace!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am sure he will come around. When he is with you and dad, just talk to him constantly and ask him silly questions. :o) "Look Sweetie, I see the moon. Can you see the moon....What color is the sky?" lol just random excuses for conversation, ya know. If you can find a way to lessen his him in daycare (not always possible) that will help too. They mean well, but there are just so many children. The more outgoing children will get more attention. I am not against preschool/daycare, I am just realistic about their time. I used to be a preschool teacher.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It's always concerning when a child seems to regress. Adjusting to a new daycare might cause behavior changes for a few days until he adapts to the new circumstances, but it sounds as if your son's behavior changes have lasted much longer than that. It's possible that the particular daycare he was in was not a good fit for him. The new daycare setting seems to be an improvement, but you indicate that he still is not back to where he was developmentally. I would definitely have his pediatrician check him out - and ask for referrals if things don't improve.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 2:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Depends on the daycare.

Mine learns more at daycare than I could teach her at home, because of the opportunity to be around older children. Also it is a center so most of the time she is around children of the same age.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My children have been attending daycare since they were all three 3 weeks old. I have an amazing sitter and my kids have all exceeded my expectations.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Daycare had the opposite effect on my DD. She socialized more and picked up a lot of new skills. Is this change dramatic? Is he becoming less and less social and verbal EVERYWHERE? I think it was a good idea that you made an appointment for him to be checked out. It never hurts to rule things out. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I actually did switch his daycare and the teacher there does have more one-on-one with the children which is amazing because there 10 of them and only one assistant. He seems to be doing a lot more talking, it's just that now I cannot really understand him. His words aren't as clear as they used to be. Also, before he started daycare he was always around bigger children.....I mean 6-9 yrs old so he picked up alot from them. Now he spends most of his time with children his age and younger. Like at the last daycare where he was the only child doing things, he started whining and pointing like the other children. And actually back then he was interested in being potty trained and the director did mention that when a child is learning something new, they put old thimgs on hold but he will be talking again and I'm going to wish I didn't rush it. That statement did piss me off but I'm not rushing it, it's not like he never talked..
    LittlesMom549

Comment by LittlesMom549 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• He goes Mon-Fri from 9AM-3PM. I try and talk his dad into keeping him home a couple days a week and do the things I used to with him before I went back to work........but he will not!! But he does spend alot of time in daycare.
    LittlesMom549

Comment by LittlesMom549 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011