Is it right to punish my 3 yr old for using cuss words if he uses them against the person who teaches him to say them

My 3 year old never cusses to anyone else but only to his 17 yr old sister and his 15 yr brother because they teach him how to say certain words but when he lashes back at them when he gets mad at them they get mad at him and tell me to punish him or tell him he is in time out and tell me Mom he is never going to learn if you just turn your head and dont pay attention,,,, I don't think its right that they are aloud to teach him the word , or call him the names and then turn around and if he calls them the names punish him and time him out for it ,,, what would be a good suggestion for it because I already have stated what my feelings are about what I dont think is right ,,, what they teach him then dont teach him that .....

barrerajuls

Asked by barrerajuls at 1:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, they're being idiots. a 15 and 17 year old are both capable and old enough to watch their mouths around a kid. they are the ones who need to start getting consequences for their actions. take away their cell phones or car keys.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I personally believe that it is difficult to explain to a child the difference in adult appropriate and kid appropriate words if they are said around them. I always tried to gently scold mine and say that is not nice. When they questioned why so in so says it, I would say that it isn't nice for them to say it and we were going to be better than them by not saying it. That always felt like a game to them.
    frugalmomwannab

Answer by frugalmomwannab at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No it isn't right to punish him for using words his older siblings taught him - IMO it's the older kids that would be punished for teaching their little brother how to say it. I cuss a lot, I admit that. My 6 year old DD never cusses though my 5 year old DD does when she gets mad. I don't really punish her - I'll say "excuse me?" to her and she apologizes for cussing. I have 3 year old twin boys and they occasionally cuss but they're learning that its not ok for children to talk that way and when they're adults they can cuss if they want to.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 1:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Tell your 17 year old and 15 yr old to watch their mouths around the 3 year old.. Apparently, they weren't punished for using bad words..
    Maybe you need to scold the 17 year old and 15 year old in front of the 3 year old so he understands the words are naughty. & yes its okay to punish him as well.. Time out.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• They shouldn't have that much control or power with him to punish him for anything, that's your job. They should be punished everytime he says the words they taught him.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Show your older kids that it's not ok to cuss then your little one won't pick up the bad words. Take their favorite things away if they continue or ground them till there is improvement. Remember, YOU are the MOM not your older kids.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• what do you mean they teach him the word? did they do it deliberately?
    either way, may you could punish all of them for speaking that way.
    Anonymous

• I would punish all of them when your little one says the bad words. Your little one needs to learn that it's not okay to say those things and your older kids need to learn to watch their mouths around the little ones.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• no they don't do it on purpose but i think they thought it was funny to hear him say it at a time and now its not funny anymore cuz he says it towards them when they are mad at him like when they are telling him to pick his toys up or telling him to go put something away or just in general and he will reply with what his new word is and of course no one wants to be told that when your trying to get stuff done but the older kids don't understand that if you didn't teach him words like that how can you put him in time out for something you taught him to do ,,,, my thing is ,,,, unteach him by saying your faults look sister or brother didnt mean to say that and sister and brother dont know what we are talking about and we want to teach you better ways to talk so that we can get you to pick up toys and clean your room so Mommy will be happy with us and maybe she will pick us up some Ice cream on her way back from work ,,:)
    barrerajuls

Comment by barrerajuls (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't understand why the teens weren't punished for teaching him those words, I would start there not with the 3 year old. Or set house rules that if any cuss words are used there will be a punishment and set age appropriate ones.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011