Is this normal for a 2 1/2 year old?

He knows all the basic colors, can count to 20 (but as for ACTUALLY counting objects, he can only count to 10 things so far), he knows all the basic shapes, and more. It just seems like he's a sponge, we barely work on anything with him and it just sticks! He remembers so well. He's always been like that with learning how to talk, but I honestly didn't think 2 year olds could actually count things. We just need to work on starting reading and writing. Can anyone recommend any videos or books for preschoolers?

ours

Asked by ours at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd could do all that at 2 1/2, it doesnt seem odd, as for videos i dont know
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• baby einstein videos... they are good and will teach sign language as a bonus..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Normal. My son is 2 1/2 and knows all those things. He knows more dinosaur species than I know! Any types of books will help with reading - just read to him! We don't do many videos, so I can't help you there. We actually don't "work" at all - we just talk about the color of things we see, count the steps we go up, etc. It's all done through play, which I think is how they learn best anyway!

Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My dd has been able to do all of that for a while now and she is 27 months old, not quite 21/2 yet, it sounds normal to me, each kid is different and express themselves and what they know differently , but as far as videos Idk maybe google it and see what you find,
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• missanc, that's what we do too and my son LOVES dinosaurs. It's so adorable hearing him say the names! My dad loves it too because he gets to teach him new names whenever he buys him a new one haha. But ya, we don't have any specific learning time. We just talk about things throughout the day. Like I said with bath time we'll count the shampoo bottles for fun, or I'll ask him the color of something. With shapes he'll just randomly tell me. We do read with him before his nap and before bed. It seems like it's more for entertainment purposes at this point though. We bought him Your Baby Can Read when he was 3 months old which helped start speaking very early, but it honestly hasn't done anything for him as far as reading.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my 2yo remembers shit that happened months ago in detail. i can't even remember what i ate two hours ago
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• haha
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Normal. Kids are capable of learning a lot more than most people realize. Just be sure that you remember he is only 2 and doesn't need to be sitting at a table learning to write his name he needs to be outside learning how to climb on the junglegym.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sounds great!

For my ds, we just work on writing his name whenever he wants to color. He is 2.5 also and his attention span is not very long, but he always wants his name on all of his art projects, so I figure that's a good start. We have also been talking about letters and words while we are reading books.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'd say its pretty normal--my son isn't big on conversation, but he knows his colors, letters and numbers (by sight), shapes, and most of the alphabet and counting to 10, and he's 2 1/2. My daughter, on the other hand (she's 4), still isn't too sure about all of her letters and isn't interested in reading (being read to is good though), but makes up her own stories, songs, dances, etc and has a vocabulary more impressive than most kids 10 years older than she is. Kids just develop differently according to their interests. IMO, you don't need any special videos, books, etc--any moment can be a teaching moment, from watching Sesame Street or a trip to Wal-mart to drawing the alphabet in the sand at the beach or a walk at the park, picking up leaves to make rubbings of and learn tree names.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011