Why aren't these soldiers flying first class anyways?

Delta Air Lines says it's sorry "for any miscommunication" after U.S. Army soldiers returning from Afghanistan complained that they were charged almost $3,000 in bag fees by the carrier.

The men, who were bound for Fort Polk, Louisiana, said their military travel orders allowed them to carry up to four bags, but when they arrived at the airport in Baltimore, Delta told them it allows military personnel to check only three bags for free.

Members of the unit who were traveling with four bags ended up paying out of pocket for their extra luggage, the soldiers said in the video. They were charged $200 per extra bag, so the 34-member unit ended up paying more than $2,800 in bag fees, the soldiers added.

Delta explained that active-duty U.S. military personnel traveling on orders can check up to four bags in First/Business class and three bags in coach for free on both domestic and international flights.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/08/soldiers.bags.delta/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 1:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sure if you would like to send YOUR money so that they could fly first class, they would gladly take it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have always thought AD should fly for free. Not first class, but for free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Candi1024 a minute ago

Do they buy thier own tickets? If not, i do send my money...via taxes and considering the amount of those taxes that are dedicated to national defense it seems like we can afford a first class ticket.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Theyre traveling on orders, meaning they are flying on the governments dime. Officers and sr enlisted would be in first class with the soldiers in coach. Delta has since revised their baggage policy for soldiers flying on orders and flying on personal travel.

The thing about this is, most units dont fly commercially when they return from a deployment, or on orders at all. I assume because this is a reserves unit, things were a bit different.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 1:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Do they buy thier own tickets? If not, i do send my money...via taxes and considering the amount of those taxes that are dedicated to national defense it seems like we can afford a first class ticket.

Honestly, I don't know, but I don't think so. What I"m saying, is that I see that as an unnecessary way to spend the governments money, which is of course our money. Really, second class is pretty good, being as I thought they travelled on military planes. I mean, you can take this respect thing pretty far, why don't we have silk linens for them to wear as well?

I'm also not being totally cocky, out of respect for the military, I do think that maybe starting an organization that takes donations to pay for first class seating would be a very nice thing to do.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• 1) Traveling on military orders is SUPPOSED to equate to NO baggage fees or any additional fees.
    2) Soldiers, in the past, have been offered first class/business class when seats are available. I am working with USO, AFYMCA, etc on getting companies and people to donate airline miles to soldiers so they can upgrade to firstclass at the time of making travel arrangements...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie

Thanks for the clarification.

I do think that maybe starting an organization that takes donations to pay for first class seating would be a very nice thing to do.

Answer by Candi1024 a minute ago

Thats a good idea.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

Most soldiers have US Defense Travel Credit Cards. They buy their tickets and make their arrangements via SATO.. the only time when the military does NOT pay to fly soldiers home is when they are on unaccompanied remote in a NON war zone (Korea, etc) and they fly home for "mid term leave" Then it is the soldier's responsibility to buy tickets or attempt to fly space A

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Officers and sr enlisted would be in first class with the soldiers in coach. Delta has since revised their baggage policy for soldiers flying on orders and flying on personal travel.

My husband is an officer and flies coach...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• the only time my hubby has flown commercial was for training and r&r. both times everything was payed for, but to just up and charge soldiers they were lucky the guys even had the money. alot of us live paycheck to paycheck and that $280 is equal to almost our whole food budget! he has flown first class at times (he is enlisted) when someone gives up a seat otherwise he goes coach. and honestly when coming home i dont think he cares where he is at one that plane as long as he is on it. as for the baggage fees thats crazy, its not like he gets the option to lug all that crap, and it is a lot of crap (we have a whole closet full of it)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011