Is it illegal to take pictures of your own children butt naked?

I was wondering this the other day because I had taken some cute pictures of my 8 month old and my 2 year old in the tub together...you couldnt see anything but thier top halves,bubbles,toys and big smiles,lol.
And then I have a picture of my 2 year old walking to her potty chair I put outside and she only had a top on (so its a little booty shot,lol) It was funny really..I was laughing so hard..to see her little naked butt tromping to her little pink potty chair sitting outside on a deck (my friends called her a hillbilly,LOL)
And then I have a picture of my 8 month old...butt naked out in the back yard..he had pulled himself to standing on the side of the kids hard plastic pool...and again..it was so cute..had to take a picture of that lil naked butt, LOL.
So..as innocent as these pictures are...could I get in trouble for taking them?!?

My dh saw them and said I could get arrested, LOL..that they don't let you take naked butt pictures of your kids anymore.
My grandparents have a few of me when I was little, walking around their backyard, butt naked holding a bag of marshmallows.
So ... is it no longer acceptable since there are so many disgusting perverts out there that turn something so innocent into something nasty?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is absolutely obscene that we can no longer take and save these beautiful photographs of our children. It is considered child pornography. That is so sick. What I have done is take pictures of my babies sitting down from behind. it only shows the top of their cute little bum and its a sweet view.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i don't think there is anything wrong with it. But you probably don't want to post them on facebook or anything.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think you can do that. You can't post them anywhere or probably not send them to anyone but you should be allowed to photo your child.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Take all you want. Just don't post them online.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• false. i have pictures of all 3 of my daughters naked the day they were born. of course, the ones of their private areas are in photo albums that only myself and Dh or close family members can see. little naked bums aren't pornographic, but it's still not something i would advertise on my FB page (not saying you would, just in general) but it's not illegal to take them or store them on your computer or in a photo alubm.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• correction.. the ones that their private areas are visible, not the ones OF their private areas.. LOL. that just doesn't sound right.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Of course not! They are your children. Just don't post them on the internet!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my suggestion is to contact a few photo labs and ask if they know of any new law stating that you can't take nude pics of your children.
    Last I was are of, you could, but if a adult was in the shot then it was a possible legal issue. That and there's something about submitting such pictures out to people can be a issue as well.

A animal (using the term animal loosely) can't be in the shot either, such as at one point I was in a situation where a man wanted to take nude pics of his girlfriend with a snake, but we couldn't print them because the snake was in the shot.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No. Just don't post them ANYWHERE on the internet no matter how many privacy setting you on on FB or wherever else! Pictures like that are innocent, I think most families have a few like that. It's not like it's child pornography.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sounds like you got the cutest hillbilly ever!! I love it.

If it is illegal, I've broken the law many times. AND I have had the pics developed at Walgreens and then I mailed to the grandparents (they loved these sweet naked baby images). I wouldn't post them on-line, but what we do in our family is our business. Hmm... if the Federal Pervert Police come to my door, I'll just trust that a jury of my peers will understand the difference between porn and a mom's love.

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011