Has anyone used the CIO method with a 6 month old? I've tried that approach,but can't seem to get through it! Baby wakes every hour through the night!

gapeach3510

Asked by gapeach3510 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ?
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, I never let my kids cry. It is cruel. She will only stop crying because she thinks no one cares. Why would you do that to your baby?
    Anonymous

• I don't think the CIO method is a bad approach, when they are 6 months though. I would let my son cry for 10 minutes and if he still was I would come in and make sure that he was ok, diaper, teeth etc. and then leave the room.
    He has gotten better over time. I don't think theirs any reason why the baby can't learned to self sooth themselves.
    good luck to you!~
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, I am not a fan of "crying it out". I have found that if my babes are waking that much, then something else is going on like:

1) illness
    2) hunger
    3) just about to meet a milestone

If you have made sure to have a bedtime routine and bedtime that is consistent and early, then I would look into the other possibilities . . . but baby should really not be left to cry. Fussing is okay, but if it is prolonged crying, the cortisol level will be raised.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• IMO..I think 6 months old is a little too young for the CIO method. Maybe wait a few minutes to see if they fuss then go back to sleep on thier own. But I would just rock the baby back to sleep or bring him/her to bed with me until they fall asleep and then put them back in thier bed once they fall back to sleep. Its not a perfect system..but its one that I was okay with at that age...actually my youngest is 8 months and I still do that,lol. I tried the CIO method on him for naps a few weeks ago and I just couldnt handle it, broke my heart too much..so back to square one. Oh well, I like to cuddle him anyway,lol.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I couldn't just let her cry either,but desperate to get her to sleep through the night,so I'm trying everything.
    gapeach3510

Comment by gapeach3510 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If your babies needs are met (fed, clean, attention, affection, etc), there is nothing wrong with letting them cry a bit. They will learn to confort themselves and sleep well. You baby may not be ready to sleep through the night yet. One of my children was fine at 6 weeks the other around 9 months. Good luck and sorry for the bleeding heart Anon who is just trying to be mean to you.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't know what you times are, but often nighttime sleep will be helped if you make sure that her napping does not go past 2:30PM and that she does not get put down to bed later than 8 PM.

Kids are really in tune with light/dark cycles . . . it seems weird but making bedtime earlier can really help them sleep more peacefully.

BTW, Ferber has actually changed some of his viepoint on CIO . . . to just mean short periods of fussing. It has been greatly misused, as "experts" have told moms to leave the room and not go back in . .. no matter what. We now know that is potentially harmful. Think gentle "shaping" instead on ignoring.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Okay I did a modified CIO but not until 9 months. I would do our bed time routine and then lay them down. I would let them fuss for 3 min then go in a and talk to them and rub their back/tummy and then walk away. I would let them fuss for 5 min then return and do the same thing, then again in 7 min them 10... no longer than 15 min BUT this is them fussing. Not screaming and fretfully crying. Fussing/whining/ whimpering... these things are different form all out red faced crying. I would never let them get to that point.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Read Ferber's book. It isn't the cruel scenario you think. Good luck!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011