Is it ok to let my 5 week old cry?

she has colic or something. shes awake seriously like all day with maybe 5 minute naps every few hours. and rarely sleeps an hour. i took her to her ped yesterday and they switched her to soy. but i cant do anything, i cant eat, sleep, shower, do house work, nothing. shes fine when im holding her and as soon as i put her down shes screaming. should i just allow my house to be a mess, not eat, not shower, or sleep? this is crazy and the fathers not around so unfortunatly no help. any suggestions? i just started the soy yesterday so idk if it will help any

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's not OK. No mother of a 5 week old has a spotless house. If you do, there is something very wrong. Care for your child. try a sling.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It will be ok if you go take a shower. She will be fine if you let her cry for 10 minutes.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Put her in a sling or front carrier.

Give the soy a couple of days and see how things change. If she is still crying so much, then there is a problem like reflux. A lot of babies have a dairy intolerance and the switch to soy does help. A simple medication like prevacid solutabs can do wonders for a baby with reflux, but not without a doctor's prescription.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Have you tried wearing her? Try using a nice sling so she can feel close to you. Call in the reserves if you need to. If she is crying no stop to the point you are getting frustrated then you need to ask for help or if it means letting her cry for 10 min while you get yourself back together in another room so be it she will not he harmed but really try a sling and try to recruit some help. And I agree don't worry about hte house right now!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you have to go to the bathroom, take a shower, etc. then it's okay for a few minutes, but other than that just hold her. She just wants to be held and be close to you and as hard as it is, that's the most important thing right now. Everything else will wait.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i would try to shower at night or very early morning while the child is asleep or during one of those 5min naps. I would clean in the 5min increments and what doesn't get done, doesn't, and then I am sure the baby would be ok while you eat. You have to eat or you will pass out and can't care for the baby. My first had colic and AR and digestion track issues and thats how i coped. I think the meal would be a good time time to put the baby in the crib, and not take all day to eat, but eat and quick brace yourself, tell yourself you CAN do this and you will, and just breath. You wouldnt want to become so stressed you make some kind of serious mistake or worse yet harm the baby (im not accusing you) Also, the best decision I ever mad was to get a baby wrap. I have a bad back and a carrier put me in tears. I was able to wrap the wrap in ways the weight was on my hips and it made the baby feel so much lighter. I carried DDover 25lbs
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 2:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You have to learn her crying patterns. It's not okay to just let her cry because she's hungry or in pain, but if she's simply fussy/tired then yes she'll survive if you let her be for a few minutes. Newborns still need LOTS of love/attention, and even if you can't get her to actually stop crying, just holding and comforting her is the best a momma can do sometimes :)
    Anonymous

• I showered every other day when my baby was small and so needy. And forget the housework for now. There will be plenty of time for that in the years to come. Try putting her in a baby carrier. Babies crave closeness and are happiest when they are in your arms. Ergo carriers are the most comfortable. If you let her cry for a couple min. that shouldn't be a problem, but at 5 weeks, letting her cry for an extended period of time is not a good idea. They cry for good reason and shouldn't be ignored. Seriously, try reading The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Karp. AWESOME book and may just solve ALL YOUR COLIC PROBLEMS. No joke. He is a miracle worker.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would get a sling or carrier and carry her so that you can get things done...
    Try a swing... she might like the movement and the more upright position (especially if she is having tummy troubles)
    And if you need to shower then take a fast one... and let her cry.... but try to do it when she's sleeping.
    And try to nap as much as you can when she's napping...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I had one of those. . . .

Get a comfy front carrier. If you want to get some housework done, you can put her in that. She will probably sleep, and you can really do alot.

Also, if you have an age-appropriate swing, you can put that in the lowest setting and bring it in the batroom with you while you shower. Fussy babies can be soothed for a few minutes in a swing . .long enough for you to do a quick shower.

Also, sometimes colicky babes need to be held upright for 20 to 30 minutes after feeding, and need a lot of massaging to get that air out. The gas is super-painful when they are on their backs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011