Newborn Uncircumcised Penis Care...Help!!! adult content

My DS, 4 months old, had his check up yesterday and the pediatrician pulled his foreskin down and made it very red and irritated. It looks like it has cuts in it from where she did this. I have been told time and time again NOT to pull the foreskin down and only clean the exterior of an uncircumcised penis.

I was concerned with the redness and swelling so I called the doctors office today and the nurse tells me I should be pulling the foreskin down daily!??? I repeated he was UNcircumcised and she said it is important for daily cleaning to retract the skin. I even googled this and the advice is to leave it alone.

If anyone knows what is correct please let me know. Thank you!!!

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 2:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• http://www.nocirc.org/publish/pamphlet6.html  

This look slike the kind of info that might be helpful for you right now... I hope it helps.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My understanding is you do NOT retract the foreskin until it does so on it's own and that could be as late as age 3 or 4 even.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son is also un circ'd and I was told to leave the foreskin alone, not to do anything to it, that it will start to detach by itself in the next few months to a year...I was told this by my Dr
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My 3 were never circumcised, and I was told to leave the skin alone, it will detach and be able to retract on its own as the child grows.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What I have read is that you never force the foreskin back. It will detach on it's own . . .when it does, you can gently pull it back to clean in the bathtub.

That being said . . my son has a fascination with his and will pull on it in the bath or during diaper changes, so he is a little red.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I have been thinking about it and if the skin has been retracted now nad is inflamed does that cause a risk for fusion or anything...? I have no idea it just seems logical to me. I would find a uncric. friendly/knowledgable doctor and switch and find out what to do from here since this has happened. (I'm not trying to scare you I honestly have no knowledge on the subject-my DS was circed but that would be my concern if I was in your situation)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Listen to the DOCTOR before you listen to the NURSE but you are not supposed to pull the skin back before it retracts naturally. Look what happened! Uncut boys are to be left alone, until they are of puberty age when the skin has detached on it's own and they can clean properly.
    Anonymous

• No never...I would listen to the pediatrician and definatly let him know what the nurse is doing...I've even googled it and everything says to leave it alone...that it will start to detatch by itself...just keep the outside clean with soap and water...I'm going to see his pediatrician on Thursday and I can ask him about it if you want me to, then PM you with what he tells me
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Do NOT retract the foreskin. Look for a different pediatrician.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The current advice is to NOT retract the foreskin. The old advice was to do it, and she may not know the current guidelines. Check out the AAP's website or another reliable resource like that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011