Whats the right age?

Im thinking about putting my son in a sport but im wondering what would be the perfect age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think 4. My son was in hockey at 3, but he didn't get much out of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• usually they don;t allow them in sports until 4-5 you have to check.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you are looking at team sports, I would find out what ages they actually take. Most team sports here require the kids to be in school before they can sign up.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I know a family of sports nuts,,and their children started 'organized' sports at like 2 definitely 3 years of age. They outplay and outlast every single player on any team they are on. Amazing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i think soccer and t-ball starts at 4 everything else is older. I was trying to get my daughter in dance but it doesnt start until 3 and potty trained but I am going to try to get her ptty trained sooner so we can try to start a little early.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Thats kind of how my son is. He loves being outside, and he is really good at golf, baseball, and hockey. I mean at 1 1/2 he was driving a quad around the house. He is very talented and i wanted him to take that to a team to see how he would like it, but i dont want him at such a young age to not want to do it when hes older because hes sick of it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Most YMCA's have sports programs for 3-5 and then 6-whatever. We tried my son in outdoor soccer, t-ball and indoor soccer at around 3. It didn't work all that well for us because 1) he's big for his age (he's 7 and the size of most 10 year olds) and 2) he'd throw the WORST tantrums if he didn't get his way; still does, it's annoying to say the least.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It really depends both on the kid and the sport.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think it depends on the kid, the sport, the program and what it is you want to get out of it. My three year old LOVES gym class and its great for both buidling team and listening skills as well his gross motor skills. I put him in soccer for three year olds because he seemed to be really good at it. They kick balls and play games and learn the very basic skills but if he gets tired we leave.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011