Ear infections...help!!

My son has been getting ear infections one after another so they r wanting to put tubes in his ears. I don't wnt that to happen at all! What can I do to try and keep the ear infections away?

He lays down at night and drinks his cup. I'm gonna make him sit u and drink his cu then lay down. Do u think this will help?

Also, I'm gonna dtop washing his gair everynight so less water will get in his ears even tho I try to prevent it anyway.

We don't smoke in our house but outside and he goes with us. So I'm going to try to stop doing that as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• None of that will help. Get the tubes, they help!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sorry ab the misspelling words. I'm on my phone and letters tend to not work sometimes lol. Hope u can understand it :-/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think it will help...plus antibiotics. I don't want tubes. TOTALLY AGINST THEM SORRY!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think you should get the tubes, they wil help.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You might try using Swimmers Ear drops in his ears after washing or bathing or swimming. It's available over the counter at Walmart. It helped our daughter who was prone to ear infections, and she never had to get the tubes. Also, make sure that he is getting enough good deep sleep as that will help his body's immune system fend off the bugs.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can try these things but I'm not sure they will help at all...tubes are usually needed cause the hole in the ear is not big enough to allow the ear to drain properly causing them to get backed up and infected. I had tubes in my ears as a child and my oldest also had to have tubes put in her ears due to chronic ear infections. Allowing him to continue to have the ear infections will only cause damage to his hearing. I'm not sure why you are so against something that can be so very helpful to him. It is an easy procedure that is performed as an outpatient thing, so no time will need to be spend in the hospital, he will go in and be able to go home the same day. It made a huge difference in my daughter, she was so much happier and healthier afterwards. I agree with the other mommas, please do what is best for him and get the tubes or he is going to have ear problems forever no matter what you do or change.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If he needs tubes he needs tubes. My DS has had them twice and it has helped each time. It is a very quick procedure and if the ENT is recommending then then he has a good reason. I was told DS's Constant ear infections are putting his ear drums at risk for scarring which could effect his hearing with age. The pressures behind his ear drums was already effecting his hearing in his right ear.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I can whisper and he can hear. I'm scared to death for him to be put to sleep.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Why are you against a medical procedure that will help your child?
    Anonymous

• My son, until he was almost 3, had MANY ear infections we never knew about. He never tugged on his ears, never got super fussy, appetite didn't change at all, only a couple did he spike a sudden high fever and now he's got SO MANY social problems. We have a video somewhere of him reading Brown bear, brown bear what do you hear? In that video he's talking just like a deaf person would speak, if you've ever heard that. He's either got tons of cotton in his ears, or his mouth.

If we had had more warning signs of his ear infections he probably would have gotten tubes. He is at least 2 years behind his peers, socially, and STILL acts like he's 2. He'll be 8 in October.

IF he needs them he needs them. This is a VERY minimally invasive surgery and he'll be better off with them that without.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011