What does this rash look like?

My three year old woke up this morning just fine. She has no fever, is acting normal, and it is cool in the house. So, when I changed her after breakfast because she had gotten milk on the front of her shirt, I was suprised to find a rash all over her back and below her belly button. It looks like a heat rash to me, but she was not hot. We've been in the house all morning in the AC, and the rash was not there when she woke up. She hasn't been sick and has no known food allergies or otherwise, and I haven't changed any soaps or anything lately. I wonder what this could be. What do you all think?

P.S. She's in a diaper for naptime; she is potty trained other than nap and night time. :P So if you must comment about the diaper, whatever. lol.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 2:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Health

• Looks like heat rash to me too..but she's not being exposed to too much heat being in the a/c....idk.
    I would call dr and see if maybe you should give her some benydryl if its bothering her. If it doesnt seem to really be bothering her and she has no fever..I would probably just give her a bath (she couldve gotten into something you dont know about and it just needs washed off the skin) Was she outside in the woods or near the woods or anything like that yesturday? Could be poison ivy? but then shed be really itchy.
    Well, good luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It looks like a heat rash to me...although I would check her for a bug bite that she might be allergic to. Give her a cool bath so that if it is a heat rash it might get better. Hope this helps ya out a bit. But dosnt look like anything bad...just keep an eye on it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Put some corn starch on it. If it's heat rash it will go away in about a 1/2 hour. If it doesn't go away it's probably a virus.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Take her into the ped. There are some viruses this time of year that present with rash on the trunk.

Also, if she has taken penicillin within the last three weeks, it could be a delayed allergy . . .but you should take her in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Has she eaten anything that she doesn't ordinarily eat? It kind of looks like hives to me, which usually means an allergic reaction to something, usually food.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Have you changed laundry products or bath products recently? If so she may be sensitive to things in the different brand. Otherwise I am not sure what it could be from. You may want to try to think if she has been around anything new or different today that could have caused the outbreak. It would be good to have the doctor check it out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'm calling her dr now. :) I was wondering about a virus, but she seems fine. Guess the rash could appear as the first symptom, though. No meds lately, or anything she hasn't previously been exposed to (i.e. food, soaps, detergents etc)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Thanks. We were at my sister's yesterday in a wooded area, but she didn't get any ticks or anything. I don't think it's poison ivy bc it doesn't itch. The nurse told me to put some hydrocortizone (sp) on it and to call back if it gets worse or she gets any other symptoms. Right now, she seems fine. It just baffles me as to what this could be.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011