Cant believe I'm doing this already but.....

So I realize this is early but I have no other choice but to start thinking about it Christmas! I need to start getting my shopping done so with that in mind I am asking for ideas hahahaha

I am asking bc my daughter who is now 3 1/2 has her bday Dec 17 so I need to buy some thing for her now then set aside some money for when the season comes. She will of course be making requests at that time & I want to make sure to get her some things she really wants but I can get a jump on it now with things that I'm pretty sure she will love then. So for those of you with 4yo girls what do they like the best, just curious?

My ideas so far are Games (she loves them), Books (obsessed with reading), Craft supplies (always making something).

Now the other reason I need to start shopping now is bc all our bdays are the last few months of the year so our bank account really gets drained. Adding to all of this SO gets laid off every year from mid Dec - March so we get half the amount of money via unemployment & barely handle our bills every month in this time between unemployment & the savings for the year. Then after lay off we have $0 in our savings account. We work hard every year trying to make us have extra at the end of lay off but so far hasent happened yet.

Anyway October is SO's, my dad's, & my daughters bestfriends bday. December is 1 nephew, 2 neices, my daughters, mother in laws, brother in laws birthdays. January is nephew & cousin bdays. Those are the people we purchase bday gifts for but there are many more then just those! Plus we usually end up finding ourselves invited to at least three odd ball parties of my daughters friends or so last year that is how it happened at least.

Any ideas would be great! Again things that I can pick up now & that my 3 1/2 year old will still enjoy at the age of 4 & through that year. If your child has something at the age of 4 or 5 that they really enjoy juts share what it is & I'll look into it =) thanks!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• First...that's a whole lot of gifts when you are on such a budget. Not that you asked but I'd seriously be limiting the number of family and friends birthday gifts I bought during the year. We know very few if any children that have a lack of toys...Anyway back to your actual question==at 4 I bought the boys ummmm that talking book toy...comes with a little pen like object that when you scan the words in the books it talks. They liked it alot.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Wow, that is crazy he gets laid off every year AND you all have figured out how to budget for it! For your life, it totally makes sense to start buying now! Lol Our brithdays start getting crazy from the end of July-Sept. and Spet is the worst. It is crazy how many bdays we have. and we buy gifts for 20+ people at Christmas time. It gets crazy if we don't start shopping in November. I think most 4 year old girls still like playing with baby dolls and like to play dress up. Crafts are always great! You could get her a bead work kit and she could make bracelets and necklaces. Hair bows, lip gloss, nail polish(under supervision :)).
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Dress up stuff wow great idea thanks!

I'd love to limit the amount we buy for but um that is limiting it! Between SO & I we have 8 sides of family which = 9 grandmothers, 5 grandfathers, 11 cousins (7 of which we see every single day the other 3 weekly), then there are a few friends, aunts & uncles that we are super close to as well that we pick things up for as well. Some people get homemade things such as goody boxes or things we pick up at the thrift store & convert to cute keepsakes to cut costs, I pick up things through out the year on sale, hit all the surplus/salvage stores in the area through out year for any good shipments, & in general try to spend the least amount we can on a gift sometimes I only end up spending $10 for someone which is great when I can! Other times its upwards of $20 for someone. For my daughter its usually $200 for her bday & xmas so $100 for each so the more sales the better!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Since you don't mind thrift stores, I bet you coul find used costumes at some of those places...worth a try! GL
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Last year was easy to pre buy for my daughter this year not as much. Once the xmas commercials hit last year she started to ask for things on the commercials & I had to pick up a couple last min things or make requests from grandmothers to ensure she got some of the things she liked. I dont want to run into that problem again this year (think I'm done when actually I'm not) so if I could get half of her stuff done early that would be great.

I pick up general kids things when I see them on sale like I grabbed a lighting mcqueen traveling coloring kit for $5 the other month for a little boy who loves cars in september (btw it was $15). Also got a tinkerbell scrapbook kit for either my daughter or a friend $5 (was $10) I just have a tote for these items. Also if I get my shopping done ahead of time this year I maybe able to take advantage of after xmas sales for some decorations for us this year!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'm so impressed with your organization. I love the dress up ideas, too--when I was 4, I just LOVED playing dress up (I still do!) Good luck with your planning!!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Just a tip for everyone after halloween is the time to get dress up stuff! Now most stores are sold out of all the good stuff before halloween however if you hit someplace like Christmas Tree Shop usually (in our area at least) they have tons of stuff on sale! Last year I got my daughter a cute dress up dress for 60cents! Got a bunch of masks too for like $20cents! It was all 90% off I also got an entire tote full of scarecrows & decorations (I had none before!) for less then $10 I am so excited to pull the stuff out this halloween!

I did the same this year for Easter hit Christmas Tree Shop one week after the holiday & it was all 75% off for the stuff! Got a whole tote full of Easter decorations when again I barely had anything before hand!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and likes Disney Princess stuff (we got some hand-me-down jammies she LOVES), Coloring books, pens/pencils/crayons, even blank paper she can write her name all over (and mine, Daddy, her brother and all 4 of her grandparents), pokemon, yu-gi-oh (both courtesy of her brother), My Little Ponies, and lots of sports type activities.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Rosehawk thanks great ideas! My daughter does love My Little Pony stuff & she dosent have a whole heck of a lot of that stuff! Sports stuff she loves to play sports etc & we are constantly breaking say plastic hockey sticks. I will keep that in mind for after summer sales I always hit those up last year got chalk & water guns for 10cents a package haha After holiday/seasons is the best tme to grab up all the good stuff I'm telling ya!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• you should check out dollar tree!! they have some pretty decent disney stuff
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011