What age for a personal use computer?

my sons 9th birthday is coming up and I have a few spare computers lying around and was considering putting one in his room.
for those of you who have kids that have their own computers, what age did they get it? And do they have it in their bedrooms?

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 2:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally my son will never have a computer in his room, there is just way too much stuff for them to stumble upon. Can you set up a place for him somewhere else where you can keep an eye on him and it can still be his computer.

Why do you feel he needs his own computer so young?
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would never put a computer in a child's bedroom. I think it should be centrally located so that there are no temptations to go to places a child shouldn't go. Even with the best blocking systems, the really computer savvy can figure out ways around them. So if you have a place out in the open to set up another one, I don't think age is necessarily a factor.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• sounds like many of the previous posts are assuming he'd have internet access.
    anything wrong with him having a computer without it?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Not necessarily but when he does want internet he might get up set if it gets moved out of his room. Best to start out out of his room.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• NEVER--NEVER put a computer in a child's room! My kids share a laptop it is "theirs" we even refer to it as the kids computer. They had this laptop for the last 3 years---they are 10 and 9. Only within the last year have we connected it to the network for internet. They use this laptop either at the kitchen table or in the living room on coffee table. They sit on the floor in front of it if they are in the living room. Sometimes we take it with us to co-ops and things like that then they use it there was well.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011