Can I find out if my mom had life insurance and it was cashed after she died?

my mom passed away 10 yrs. ago and me and my sister swore she had life insurance but my aunt, who is a very greedy person and married to a lawyer, said our mom had no insurance and left it at that.
Just to give an example of how my aunt is she will file sexual harassment charges on Dr.'s just for the money. She steals anyway she can.
My sister is positive that our aunt took the money and lied to us. So I would like to find out if my sister might be onto something or just being crazy.

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 2:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• No one who is not the beneficiary can cash a life insurance policy. If your mom had life insurance, and listed her daughters as the beneficiary, then you would have seen the money. If your aunt was listed as the beneficiary, then it was rightfully her money. You're screwed.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Do you still have any of your mother's paperwork or files? They might contain a name of an attorney or insurance company. I'm not sure other than that how you would go about looking. Maybe googling???, really have no clue. But I wish you luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Was your Aunt the executor of her estate? Was she named your guardian at that time? Where was your mom's will?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I never seen anything but my sister claims to have seen the paperwork but also claims our aunt took the paperwork home with her 5 states away...and I do agree that only the person's named on the will can cash the check but my sister insists that our aunt pulled some strings because her husband is a lawyer
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It is possible that she may have carried a policy that your aunt did not know about. If noone calls the insurance company to report the death, they do not pay out or contact the beneficiary unless the is a executer of the estate that has that on a todo.

You may need to do some research, but if the policy was paid up at the time of death, and you are listed as a beneficiary, you are entiltled to the money.

Check this article.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4923395_out-person-life-insurance-policy.html
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If you have nothing to go on there is not much you can do. Do you at least know the name of the insurance company her supposedly policy was from? I think her husband would have had to personally know someone at the insurance company if he was able to pull those types of strings that your aunt would be able to cash out the insurance if she was not listed as the beneficiary...
    Anonymous

• your aunt could of taken the money depending on when she got her hands on the papers..if she got it prior to your moms death she could of changed the beneficiary to herself leaving her to get all the money...but if there is anyway possible you could find out who the insurance companys were you can call them and see if anything was changed and get the dates..and possibly have her prosecuted..reason i know for sure is some family of mine done this to us when my grandmother died..we contacted the insurance company and sure enough someone switched the policys right around her death..ended up they got in trouble and the insurance company cut a new check..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011