My son will start kindergarden at 4yrs old bday iN NOV. i really have no need to send him to preschool

My inlaws seem to think this is selfish .. WTF. he is only 3 and half now.. he is smart bc I work with him .. Does this make me selfish.. I feel like this is my time with him.. he is only 3! DARN IT ,,LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Preschool is only for socialization and to learn how to act in a classroom environment,
    However he will only be 4 when he starts kindergarden and it would be a good idea for him to get used to being in a classroom and around other kids before he goes to kindergarden.

but no youre not selfish, you do what you think is best
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• your son birthdya is in November so I don't think he can start school until age 6 the cut off to start at 5 is they have to be 5 before september
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No your not being selfish but that seems a bit young, even if he is ready academically, he might not be socially. Some of those kids will almost be 6 or even 6.

Just something to think about, it might be overwhelming for him never being in a classroom setting and then having older bigger kids. Does you district have a pre K? I would look into that personally.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• In my state the cutt off is dec 5.. Maybe I should send him so he will get use to the class room setting
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• 4 is young to be starting school i would see about putting it off till he is 5 and pre-k is for getting them prepared for school...class room environment other kis as well as academically.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Only 10 percent of kids in the US go to preschool. You are not being selfish.

Being that you have a later cut-off date, check into the new law that may have passed in your state that is moving up the age cut-off to September. It may not be fully implemented for your babe, but it might . . . . (CA)

There will be a transitional kinder that is touted to start the year after next for those kids that are being held back (those witrh B-days from Sept-Dec).

he may be looking at transitional, anyway, so it is really no big deal.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I live CA does anyone know if they changed the cutt of date in ca
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We had the same plan with my grandson. The school district had other plans. He turns 5 in Nov. He will be in Head Start, not Kinder. In order to get him into Kinder we have to have him tested thoroughly and prove he has exceptional socialization skills and is also advanced gifted. Good luck though.

Answer by gemgem at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Usually the child needs to be 5 by the cut off date, not 4.

Having sent 3 children to school, 4 is very young to send a child to kindergarten. Most children will be turning 6, and some will even turn 7. That is a huge age difference. The likelihood that he is ready for kindergarten at 4 is pretty slim. Pre-k would be a better thing for "letting him get used to it."
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• SINCE his bday is in nov.. Maybe It I might not have a choice a preschool with my nessarcy at that point?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2011