How many is too many?????

I know it depends on the parents how much they can take on. But even the best of a parent can only do so much in a day. I am asking this because I have a friend from my church. She already has 7 kids, under 13 and pregnant with # 8. You not only need to be there financially but emotionally also. IMO, after so many it is being selfish to the kids you already have. It is taking away time that they need and deserve. I am not meaning to sound harsh or like a b##ch. Does anyone else agree or am I just crazy? And I know it's none of my business I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• i respectfully agree that its none of your business.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree that sometimes I don't understand why people want to have such large families. I also agree that it is none of my business.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My sister has had 6 unplanned pregnancies which have resulted in 6 children in 11 years. ALL of whom have had serious health issues (Autism- varying degrees, 3 of them. One of them has thyroid issues. One of them has a form of dwarfism- can't remember the classification, but he has no physical deformities, is just extremely tiny. RSV. Bacterial Meningitis. Her 4th had extremely low blood oxygen and was hospitalized for over a month, when he was about 6 wees old).... They can't take care of them all, they are *always* ill or in the hospital for something which could have been prevented with supervision (like lacerations and broken bones). But they still want MORE. They're talking about adopting.

It BECOMES my business when it affects everyone else's life. I wish some of these women would have enough sense to shut down the factory!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It becomes my business only if they have children they can't support on their own and are then on public assistance/welfare. Aside from that I don't care how many children people have.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree often in situations like that the older siblings are having to help raise the younger ones and that;s not fair at all!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agreee.
    sometime,, it just time to stop.
    biggmamma19

Answer by biggmamma19 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I understand your view and have thought those same things myself. Maybe we just don't fully understand....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't think you can put a number on it. Is there a point where too many is too many. When the older siblings are raising and caring for the younger ones then yes that is too many. I will be having my fourth soon and I am able to provide, take care of and love every one of them. I could see personally having up to two more but over that I think that we would run out of time in a day for personalized attention. That does not mean that is right for everyone though.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• To each their own, I say. As long as the parents can support them financially, emotionally, etc. I don't care how many kids they have. Cause really, it's none of my business. Now, do I agree with women who have one after the other, yet can't support them or take care of them or even be a fit parent? No, but what can I do about it? I myself am done at 2. After this baby is born, that's it. If it were up to my mother in law, I'd end up with 3 or 4. Thankfully, it's not her choice how many I have.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 4:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't understand it either. I just wonder how you can have a close bond with each child when you have that many. Right now I can spend a whole hour with my son, just him and me. I couldn't do that if I had 10 children!
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011