Have you 'willed' your child(ren)?

in case both parents die, or become unable to care for the child, who will take care of your child?
we haven't set it in stone, as of yet...mostly because we feel differently about who should take ds. dh says ''my sister'' (who never sees our ds, and has a very minimal relationship with him/us..but he feels is more financially responsible) and i say, ''my sisters'' (there are two..either would be a good 'emotional/spiritual' fit, as they/their families are a distinct physical-constant in our lives..but neither always make the best financial choices.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 3:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, we have it all in a will for my Son to be taken care of & when he will gain control of the estate ($) & who will raise him & be the executor until then.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes we have my dh wanted his sister who lives in another state and since we have 5 other grown children that live around us we have picked my oldest daughter but it is not set in stone yet either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Ours is set in stone. Neither of our parents are happy with our choice but oh well. My husbands cousin would get custody of my 6 yr old dd and 17 yr old son if something happened like tomorrow. Obviously next year when my son is 18 it would be a moot point. I also have an 11 yr old son from a previous marriage and I am sure his dad would end up with him. My will states visitation would be modified to happen with his sister who is now 22 yrs old so that my son could have a relationship with them. My ex is fine with that.

Answer by gemgem at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No.. Both of our sisters are horrible parents.. both of our parents are too old to raise our son and really have stated it wouldn't be something they'd want to do - we don't have any friends that are close either.. its a tough call.. that's why we try to be always together as a family.. I don't know what we would do.. but I know we have to figure it out before something happens.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes. DS will go to Dh's cousin and his wife.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my two daughters would likely end up with my SOs sister. even though we dont have any paperwork set up and I am not sure about my son since I once had him officially "Willed" to my brother but things have since come up that had me reconsidering. I would think someone in my dads family would be the ones taking him.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 4:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes. Unfortunately my ex would get our oldest 3, and my younger 2 would go to my brother and his wife (they have 3 of their own but agreed to take the 2 youngest if anything happened to us). In the case (very likely) that my ex has already passed, all 5 of mine would go to my parents. They are still young, have no health problems, and are in great shape financially. Plus they are the only family members that could keep them all 5 together. We may have to change that at they get older and/or possibly have some health problems, but right now that's the best solution.

Answer by missanc at 4:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Not offically no. We have discussed it. There is some disagreement on who we think dd should go too.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We have discussed them time and time again, but we can't decide who they go to long term. However, he did have to fill out forms before he deployed that said who they go to short term in case anything happens to me, and he chose my parents.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011