Would you ever adopt and adult????

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43085435?gt1=43001

Picking your parents: Adult adoption creates new bond
'No matter how old you are ... you never lose the desire for a family'

It's a really interesting concept...I would be willing to do it....how about you?

BeachyBabe

Asked by BeachyBabe at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Adoption

• Yes. I have dicussed fostering teens with my husband and in the state I live in teens in foster care do get college paid for all the tears in school if tgey get accepted and go to an in state college. They get books, meals, supplies, and dorming expences plus an lowance for clothes. So I would encourage them not to sign out of foster care and continue on until after graduation. Plus they also continue on Medicaid. So we would adopt them as adults after graduation. After bouncing around in our nutty system and going through Hell and trauma I think taking advantage of this opportunity is important. But the vast majority of teens sign out and those that do take it do not have the support to keep on going. We will possibly be cheering a teen on to such a better life that the child carved out and she empowered herself along the way.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think that is awesome. Everyone deserves a family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I did, they just have a different name for it.....marriage!!!!
    maureen5969

Answer by maureen5969 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't think I would.. By the time they are adults they have already developed a way of thinking and a way of living... I understand everyone deserves a family.. but I'm too overprotective to let an adult move into my house around my children.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Oh totally everyone deserves to have a loving and caring family as long as they resipricate the love!! I wouldnt if they where not someone i would want in my family

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't do it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Nope, it wouldn't be for me. I have become too cynical in my years and am comfortable in my privacy.

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No. Once you are an adult you can build your own network of friends to be your family. I might adopt a child or do foster care when my own kids are grown and gone, but not before.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I skimmed the article....did they say anything about her moving in with them? I wouldn't imagine that would be the case....just like any other responsible adult, they'd have their own job and career, they would just be considered your child so that you had family. The concept too isn't about adopting strangers. This couple knew the woman from work, and I'm sure they got close enough with her to love her like a daughter and that's where the whole adoption thing came into play...lol
    BeachyBabe

Comment by BeachyBabe (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011