Daycare...?

ive heard diffrent things about daycare they are dangerous and they are good whats your opinion??

mommyof2tx

Asked by mommyof2tx at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It all depends on the caregiver. You can get great folks who have no formal credentials and the opposite with someone whose been doing it for a long time. You must research, visit, talk to other parents, and look at the caregivers track record. In Texas, home childcare providers can get licenced with the state and they must at least meet minimum standards. Centers have to be licensed and will sometimes get accredited with various child care and early childhood education associations. The more accredidations, the better. I believe that good quality childcare can be beneficial to the child--they get to experience other people, other children, and be independent from their parents. We've been pleased with our daughter's situation, but then we were lucky to find a good facility that met our needs. She has thrived as have other children in her class.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Depends on the daycare.. I'm very lucky to have an amazing sitter!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I love my child care provider. Couldn't have made it through infancy with out her. Sure there are crappy caregivers just like there are crappy cooks & bitchy sales people. You've got to do your research.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It DEPENDS ON THE PLACE. My DD went to a home DCP, and it was a wonderful experience. I worked daycare for 5 years, while in college. I worked at a very nice facility. Due to that, I never feared my own child entering daycare. I did go with a home over a center, but location and price had a lot to do with it. I knew what questions to ask, and felt very comfortable with who I chose.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Research carefully. Stop in unannounced a few times to see and hear what goes on.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Just depends on where you go. I used to work in a daycare that would hire you with NO experience to start and would but you in the infant room!! Also because the girls where young and didnt have children really didnt have the motherly sense to them. Also because they where not experianced with  children they wouldnt treat them very nice and didnt have much patients if they couldnt figure out why they where upset or something. I would NEVER put my child in daycare until at least 2 years and would definitely make sure the facility didnt have any dings on their record and had an open door policy. Also inquire about each teacher that would be with your child and ask what kinda of schooling and what not they had.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agree it depends on teh place. You just need to go in, ask questions, get references etc. Personally I love DD's daycare. It's a home based certified daycare. She is thriving there and dd just loves her provider. She reaches for her in the mornings. THe only time she has ever cried was when she was teething and didn't feel good. I think I will forever love her daycare because after she started going she started sleeping through the night! lol
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• As with anything, there are good ones and bad ones. My daughter started in daycare when she was 3 months old - it was the best thing I could have done for her. They understood child development, and encouraged her to learn skills that it wouldn't have occurred to me to teach her. She could put on her own jacket at 18 months, and by two could sit at the table and pass the food. Obviously, it was a really good day care center, and I felt like the teachers were people I could turn to for advice when I was worried about her. There are studies that show that children who go to good daycare centers do better in school than children who stayed home with mom, so it all depends on finding a good one.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 4:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• a mixture of both. obviously its dangerous to trust other adults and children with yours. then again, they generally learn to talk and share faster than other kids
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 5:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• research them make sure they r servied know cpr
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2011